Considering that OpenBSD’s umb(4) and umsm(4) drivers support cards like the Quectel EC25, which comes in a USB variant, I was wondering if it was (at least in theory) possible to make calls using OpenBSD. I know you can get to the internet and send SMS with the smstools port, but what about calling ?

• mariusafa@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

You can with SIP. The only thing is that you need a SIP server to hold your number. As far as i know moder telephony is internet telephony. SIP servers establish connection between 2 clients. SIP servers hold a database with phone numbers, when you call someone you ask which is the current ip for a given number. SIP servers are the ones that mantain the link between a phone number and an ip (beyond other link related stuff).

Without a global server that holds a number phone for your current ip you wont be able to get calls or even make it.

But you can create a SIP server for your friends probably. That’s how the FSF has it setup.

• vacuumflower@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I doubt OP meant SIP. They likely meant literal telephony.

Google search yields some threads about people doing this or trying to do this. So likely yes.