• bobman@unilem.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

So, it’s either “third world wages” or what they’re charging now? There’s no in between?

Please answer this: you accept that these people are charging the absolute maximum they can get away with?

• conciselyverbose@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

We’re not talking about a real product. We’re talking about a hypothetical product with unique features requiring a custom design.

The cost to a company to get prototypes for a laptop to the point where it is capable of being produced to deliver to third parties is 7 figures best case, not counting any of their own labor. That’s what they’re going to pay a source in China or India or wherever, who don’t have any employees making more than third world cost of living and don’t have big margins.

It takes a fucking lot of labor and materials to get a design for a product as complex as a laptop ready for assembly line production.

• bobman@unilem.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

What do you mean we’re not talking about a ‘real product’? I’m literally talking about the actual product they’re selling.

For some reason, you seem to believe they’re charging the absolute bare minimum to keep the lights on and put bread on the table. That’s just not true, lol.

It’s about doing the least, while charging the most. I’m sorry this needs to be explained to you so much.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

That’s not what happened in the thread you’re in. You responded to a request for something that doesn’t exist.

But ignoring that, this is also a niche project with a small and the people you’re complaining about also genuinely aren’t making that much money, for similar reasons. There are massive up front costs and they have to have much bigger margins per product to make that back wigen they don’t move millions of units.

• bobman@unilem.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Okay. You’re just completely ignoring what you want so you can keep your head in the sand.

Goodbye. Keep spending your money, lol. You’re totally not getting ripped off.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Because I understand the business realities of making small niche products?

I’m not buying it. I don’t care what they price it at. That doesn’t change the unarguable fact that there are substantial fixed costs that are extremely hard to recoup on small market products.

• bobman@unilem.org
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                1 year ago

Lol. If you understand business so well, why does it need to be spelled out for you that businesses charge what people are willing to pay, not what something costs to produce?

Come on man.

I don’t care what they price it at.

Okay. Lol. You’re the reason things are so expensive. You just pay it without a second thought.

It’s impossible for something to be overpriced in your mind. Lol.

But yeah. You ‘know business.’

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

Because it’s only possible to arbitrarily go meaningfully above your cost when you have some established market advantage.

Luxottica can jack up prices because they own every luxury sunglasses brand on the planet. Star Labs can’t jack up prices because the day they exceed their costs meaningfully, someone else with the same economics will steal their market share.

The actual cost of doing business is the core factor in determining their price. If they could afford to lower prices, they would do it so they could grow.

• bobman@unilem.org
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    1 year ago

Their ‘market advantage’ is appealing to people like you, who are willing to pay more for lesser hardware.

the day they exceed their costs meaningfully

This is where you, still, don’t understand what’s going on. I’m sorry. I’m literally tired of spelling it out for you. At this point, you’re either unwilling or incapable of comprehension.

Goodbye.