With Twitter and Reddit the way that they are, many people are turning to federated servers as their online home, kbin among them.

How are you using kbin? As a Twitter replacement? Reddit? As something new entirely?

Personally I’m trying to follow multiple types of federated content, magazines, and people.

I think kbin has a lot of growth to go through before all that content can become streamlined and look nice - but it’s all there, and that’s what counts.

If there’s one thing I would change, it would be putting the comment box at the top, or in a drop-down instead of at the very bottom of a thread. But, I’m also just happy that the site is more stable and people are posting!

• Kaldo@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Similar opinions as for lemmy tbh, it’s basically an inferior reddit for now. Fewer active members, fewer tools, features and customization options, worse stability and performance. The idea is sound but the implementation is far from ideal, but it works well enough for now.

And before everyone goes for my jugular, yeah I know. FOSS, early development, few people working on it, new experimental tech, etc etc. That doesn’t help with any of the actual issues or widespread adoption though.

Integration with mastodon is a neat idea but nobody really uses it, if it even works. Some posts are visible from there but most aren’t, some communities have like a dozen people checking microblogs but most people have no idea that it exists… or it’s unusable if it’s a generic hashtag like gaming, full of foreign submissions because language filtering doesn’t work, and breaking conversations because it can only render first-level reply.

So I dunno. I hope it takes off and gets better but it will be quite a while until that happens I think.