With Twitter and Reddit the way that they are, many people are turning to federated servers as their online home, kbin among them.

How are you using kbin? As a Twitter replacement? Reddit? As something new entirely?

Personally I’m trying to follow multiple types of federated content, magazines, and people.

I think kbin has a lot of growth to go through before all that content can become streamlined and look nice - but it’s all there, and that’s what counts.

If there’s one thing I would change, it would be putting the comment box at the top, or in a drop-down instead of at the very bottom of a thread. But, I’m also just happy that the site is more stable and people are posting!

• guyrocket@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I was really getting sick of all the negativity on Reddit. It feels like about 80% of posts are shitting on someone for some reason that I don’t really care about. Feels like a bunch of bitchy teenage girls all trying to rain on each others parade. I hope they all choke on their own social vomit.

So glad there seems to be NONE of that energy here. I hope it never arrives.

Other random thoughts/observations:
    I appreciate that kbin/fediverse is more mature and academic.

I like Star Trek much more than Star Wars and see plenty of ST and no SW here.

While I appreciate that Reddit has more smaller and special interest communities because of it’s size, I like that kbin is smaller. I think it will be a little sad to see it get big.

I plan to stay here for a while. I may host a mag or two eventually. I have ideas for improvements but as a non app user it seems pretty good so far.

Also, thanks to Ernest (sp?) and others who keep the lights on and motors running. You make it all possible.

• grinning_moonlight@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Jesus Christ youre preaching to the choir here.

I had to leave it at around November 2022 cause I noticed the negativity was seirously harming my mental health. Im only a lurker in all social medias, so I was surprised something “finally” got to me. Since I had been “immune” to metaverse shit up to that point (not because im in any way better than anyone, I just dont have enough IRL friends to matter lol), I was surprised with how much reddit mined my sanity without me noticing.

And I fully intended to only keep Insta for family contact and tiktok for funny videos until GOOGLE FUCKING STOPS WORKING. So now I need another “search engine alternative” -_-

Well, disaster averted, let’s hope we get at least a decade or so of usage on this one!

• guyrocket@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I expect this one to last. No commercial interests. I guess growth could cause some problems but we will see.