With Twitter and Reddit the way that they are, many people are turning to federated servers as their online home, kbin among them.

How are you using kbin? As a Twitter replacement? Reddit? As something new entirely?

Personally I’m trying to follow multiple types of federated content, magazines, and people.

I think kbin has a lot of growth to go through before all that content can become streamlined and look nice - but it’s all there, and that’s what counts.

If there’s one thing I would change, it would be putting the comment box at the top, or in a drop-down instead of at the very bottom of a thread. But, I’m also just happy that the site is more stable and people are posting!

• Emotional_Series7814@kbin.cafe
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

A Reddit replacement, except without doomscrolling. On Reddit I would follow communities for hobbies and have discussions about the hobby, and I’d like to do the same here. I would also doomscroll news and all the outraged comments on the news, and I would very much not like to do the same thing here.

On Kbin, there isn’t an easily-accessible Discovery feed, which is where I would click and fall into the doomscrolling and people yelling at the news. Once it gets implemented for those who want it, I dearly hope we can hide it. Out of sight, out of mind. Yes, I know it’s my own fault for clicking the Discovery button in the first place. I’ll stick to the magazines I /sub to, thank you very much. I can find new interests perfectly well through real-life friends, and learn about the news from actual news articles.