With Twitter and Reddit the way that they are, many people are turning to federated servers as their online home, kbin among them.

How are you using kbin? As a Twitter replacement? Reddit? As something new entirely?

Personally I’m trying to follow multiple types of federated content, magazines, and people.

I think kbin has a lot of growth to go through before all that content can become streamlined and look nice - but it’s all there, and that’s what counts.

If there’s one thing I would change, it would be putting the comment box at the top, or in a drop-down instead of at the very bottom of a thread. But, I’m also just happy that the site is more stable and people are posting!

• daredevil@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I intended to use #Kbin primarily as a replacement for #Reddit. Content and engagement can be a bit sparse sometimes, so I decided I would try to help by creating and moderating two magazines I have an interest in. Promoting engagement through thread discussions has actually proved more challenging than I thought. I’ve actually found more success engaging with the #fediverse through #microblogging.

I’m currently using microblogging as a means to document my Japanese studies. I’ve found some people I can practice with, along with a few that are supportive of my efforts. It’s not the primary reason I’m doing so, but it is a nice form of positive reinforcement. Though I do wish I could get others to also participate, I do not believe that’s something I can force. Honestly, I’m also pretty okay if people don’t really participate because it’s been a useful tool for myself and I might have the opportunity to aid those who simply wish to lurk. I also think there’s more I could be doing to flesh out these magazines, but I’m okay with taking things steadily and I enjoy where they’re at now.