I have been searching for while now for goed software to document my network setup. I would like to document my servers, containers, network flow, possibly als store some config files. Also would be nice if it has some auto discovery on my network.

As said, I’ve been through a lot, but never found the tool that I liked. Netbox is nice, but lacks a graphical base. Several tools are just drawing tools that lack auto discovery of the network and seem hard to maintain in the future and can not hold extra information. Same goes for some unl based stuff.

Does anyone have a good suggestion?

• slazer2au@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Netbox is a good start if you can deal with the device-front port-rear port-rear port-front port-device horseshittery. For auto discovery I would look at LibreNMS it pulls data from LLDP, CDP, and Mac tables to map out a network.

• Arcayne@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Netbox was a total game changer for me, both at work and at home. It’s overkill for a homelab, sure, but its still an incredibly valuable tool. I highly recommend giving it a chance.

There are also a couple plugins available that will auto-generate interactive diagrams that you can tweak before exporting, which should scratch that visual itch.

• wwwwhatever@lemmy.omat.nlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Thanks, but I’m looking for something else. I know about draw.io, but it’s just a drawing tool. I can use 10 different tools for that. I’m looking for something more advanced than that.

• PuppyOSAndCoffee@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I would look for something that can generate your diagram from text. There are several.

Also you should probably have some kind orchestration layer so that your architecture as text feeds both diagram and operational automation (say, ansible).

The hard part with diagrams is keeping it up to date. So if you can generate a diagram from something that MUST be up to date, it’s a 2-fer (or if your diagram can be used to generate say an ansible inventory).

• rambos@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I use bookstack to document everything about my setup. I dont have any diagrams yet, but it has drawing tool built in