Is there some application like a wiki in the fediverse? A place to gather and edit information together about a specific topic.

• Maybelline@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Maybe I don’t see the value in federation purely for federation’s sake, since things like Wikipedia still accept edits from all users, aren’t charging for usage (yet), etc.

But, I’d love to make sure that Wikipedia sticks around for a while, so while I’m a monthly donor, I’d also love to hear ideas for distributing it to prevent a single point of failure. To my feeble understanding, this sounds like a perfect use for Blockchain, but correct me if I’m wrong.

Also, first Lemmy comment, yay!

• khaosoiOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Wikipedia is a great place for general knowledge and I don’t wanna change that. What I’m looking for is a way to create wiki for a very specific topic, which could be attached to a lemmy community about that topic.

For example having a lemmy community about a certain programming language with a wiki containing documentation about that programming language. This isn’t something you’d put into Wikipedia.

• Maybelline@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Ah, I see. Thanks for entertaining my question.

I think my only concern about federating is the ability to de-federate. I like that I don’t have to see racism, homophobia, etc. but I’d hate to see any further politicization around “facts”, and I worry that federation could lead to different versions of truth.

Probably less of a concern on Go vs. Rust. Cheers!

• khaosoiOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yes, I’m thinking more of a place to collect technical documentation / tutorials. No body wants to create a place of “alternative facts” in the fediverse.

• Siathes@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

In my move over to lemmy I got nostalgic for how some older things were done, what you might be talking about are FAQs for specific topics like we had in the Usenet days. If this interests you, I have a new community started for collecting and creating those kinds of things. Not much there yet but I’ll grow it over time and would love for others to contribute.

https://lemmy.dbzer0.com/c/faqs

And a shameless plug for my other community https://lemmy.dbzer0.com/c/bbses

• khaosoiOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This looks promissing. I’ll have a look. Thanks.

• Retronautickz@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

How would federation with other platforms work? Or would it have it’s own protocol (Diaspora* or Matrix style), with federation reduced to a descentralization of servers?

• khaosoiOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Since I had hoped for an existing solution, I did not think about any technical details.

• Sean Tilley@lemmy.mlM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I can think of a few examples:

• XWiki offers an ActivityPub extension that brings in federation capabilities.
    • Smallest federated wiki is a project by Ward Cunningham that’s apparently capable of federation, though I don’t think it’s ActivityPub.
    • Dokieli describes itself more as a collaborative article publishing platform

Hubzilla also has a wiki feature that you can integrate into channels, and allows for collaborative editing.