Source olgaf (very NSFW sex/commedy comics)

• Primarily0617@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Do you not understand that giving charitable donations in order to sway public opinion to your side is lobbying?

So again: you don’t have any problem with corporate influence over what children learn in schools?

• solstice@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Generally speaking I don’t find charity contributions a controversial subject, no. I do have a problem with you putting words in my mouth. You’re clearly pissed off about a bunch of things and there’s plenty to be pissed off about. But your ire is misdirected here, as badly as this comic is mistitled.

Seems like you’re just lashing out because you’ve read a bunch of malarkey saying rich people don’t pay taxes and now you’ve formed a political ideology around that misunderstanding.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Words in your mouth? Oh dear.

🎵 Sounds like somebody doesn’t understand the logical consequences of the positions they hold 🎵

• We’ve established that tax cuts incentivize a behavior.
        • We’ve established that corporate charitable donations can be and are used for lobbying.
        • Lobbying can be and is used in the educational space.
        • You don’t see any issue with tax deductions in this exact circumstance
        • Therefore, you don’t see any issue with incentivizing lobbying in the educational space.

Seems like you’re just lashing out because you’ve read a bunch of malarkey saying rich people don’t pay taxes and now you’ve formed a political ideology around that misunderstanding.

Of all the Redditors who’ve tried to armchair psycho-analyze me, I think your attempt actually might be the worst.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

Hold your horses, buckaroo. We’re still apparently yet to decide if incentivizing lobbying in the educational space is a good thing or not.

Or does this mean that you’re retracting the assertion that there aren’t any problems whatsoever with allowing tax deductions on corporate charity?

• solstice@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

I’m not retracting anything. I want to know what you want in your own words. Actionable policy.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                10 months ago

“wow you’re against world poverty? give me actionable policy that solves world poverty or your stance isn’t valid”

We’re (somehow) still deciding between ourselves whether or not propagandizing children is a good thing or not. Why would we discuss solutions to a problem you inexplicably can’t even admit is a bad thing?

• solstice@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 months ago

We are still trying to figure out what you actually want, besides vent your general malaise and frustration.

It sounds like you want to disallow deducting charitable contributions from taxable income for corps, is that right?

What about charity contributions from individuals? Bill gates has whitewashed his image real effectively this way.

Or specifically contributions to schools?

Also you didn’t respond to the fact that many private schools are for profit corps themselves.

i just don’t know what you are proposing besides a generic “protect the children” statement that isn’t productive. This is your big chance. What do you propose?

link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    10 months ago

Why would we discuss solutions to a problem you inexplicably can’t even admit is a bad thing?

given that the above is crystal clear, at this point I’m just interested in watching the imaginary argument you’re having inside your head unfold