I stopped using it around when the blackouts started, now it’s gone. Is there a way to get them to delete all my data after having my account deleted or did I have to do that before deleting my account

• RQG@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Was that difficult? How do you feel about it now?

About the data, depending on the country you live in, Europe has this as far as know, you can rewire deletion of your data and they are bound by law to comply. You can still ask for the same referencing those laws and hope they don’t check if you live somewhere else I guess.

• abff08f4813c@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

What we are seeing is that reddit is requiring us to apply for a GDPR archive beforehand, and wait. Once we get it then we feed it to shreddit to manually delete it ourselves.

The word is that reddit doesn’t respect the deletion part and requires us to do it ourselves. They also seem to be claiming that after an account is deleted they have no way of finding which comments and posts belong to that account and so no way to do a GDPR archive post deletion.

I’m quite sure this is not GDPR compliant and quite a few folks have said they are now working to report reddit to their version of the ICO. However this is slow going and while I firmly expect reddit to get punished and sanctioned for it the process can take years.

• Limeey@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I heard reddit is un-deleting too, since “deletion” via the reddit web interface is a soft delete (not like the rows are actually removed from their database), they can just toggle the delete flag and replace the lost content.