• jet@hackertalks.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

So any country that trades with Western countries doesn’t have a right to exist?

I will point out that both China and Russia trade with the United States.

The argument that there’s no such thing as the South Korean people because they used to be in the same country is interesting. Globally were one human race, but we have a variety of countries determined by who can defend their borders.

I wonder and under what circumstances in your philosophy would a group of people be allowed just to separate from their parent country?

• Finnish_nationalisti@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

So any country that trades with Western countries doesn’t have a right to exist? I will point out that both China and Russia trade with the United States.

Indeed, but do China and Russia import or export with the West? Mainly export, Russian and Chinese economy is based on domestic production and exporting it along with resources to the West, they don’t get raw resources from the global South through the West (not in any significant way anyway), they don’t enforce the comprador regimes in the global South. The West on the other hand relies on importing resources and production from the global South for half free. Cut the West from the global South and the West starves, do the same with China or Russia and, while not a fun time, they will manage.

It isn’t just about trading with the West, but rather if one takes part in the imperialist exploitation of the global South.

Globally were one human race, but we have a variety of countries determined by who can defend their borders.

This cosmopolitanism is baseless. If all humans are the same people divided by arbitrary borders, why not go strike up a conversation with lets say a Mandarin chinese person? Surely an arbitrary border won’t limit your communication with your fellow human? I’ll use the German example again, did East Germans become a seperate people from West Germans when Germany was split? Korea has been split just little longer than Germany was.

I wonder and under what circumstances in your philosophy would a group of people be allowed just to separate from their parent country?

“Parent country” is a nebulous term, as a country isn’t necessarily a nation, and a nation might not necessarily even have a country.

• jet@hackertalks.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Okay. So people who speak the same language should be in the same country?

Or is it possible for people who speak the same language to be in different countries?

• Finnish_nationalisti@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Okay. So people who speak the same language should be in the same country?

That is an oversimplification. Language along with ethnicity is the most obvious divider between peoples, but not the only one. I simply used it as an example due to its obviousnes, the definition of nation i find to be the most based on reality is: “A nation is a historically constituted, stable community of people, formed on the basis of a common language, territory and psychological make-up manifested in a common culture.”

Or is it possible for people who speak the same language to be in different countries?

It is possible and happens, most notably with the Anglos, although there is a debate to be had whether the anglo states should unify under a common state, seeing as they pretty much are the same nation. An Englishman can easily move to Australia, understand everyone, and be indistinguishable from other Australians fairly quick. But were the same Englishman to move to Nigeria for example, he couldn’t communicate with anyone, and would never assimilate into the nation.