• RQG@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I actually don’t tell people about it unless they ask for some reason or it comes up. Which as you can imagine rarely happens.

Funny side effect is I had many people use my PC quickly for things. Noone ever comments on things looking different. Do they not notice? Do they not care? I don’t know. Maybe it’s so superior it’s beyond their comprehension.

• S_H_K@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I worked doing support for public highschools. I remember when the government changed everything to Ubuntu to cut costs. Some didn’t like it but I had some to say to me “hey this windows version is better” 🤣

• averagedrunk@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

If you have a standard looking desktop and use a common web browser it’s not going to matter to 99% of users.

• RQG@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It looks very unstandard. Highly customized KDE that clearly isn’t windows or MacOS. But probably just doesn’t matter to most people. Is Firefox a common Webbrowser anymore?

• averagedrunk@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Firefox is still common enough and the icon is recognizable because of how popular it was back in the day. No shade, but how customers are we talking? Does it have a desktop with icons or are they having to search for it?

As a side note, Fry, I love you more than the moon, the stars, the…POETIC IMAGE #36 NOT FOUND

• RQG@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

They have either search for it using the windows key or find the auto hiding Taskbar to the right and recognize the custom icon for Firefox. Both sometimes works and sometimes they ask.

• noughtnaut@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

As someone who’s not using qwerty, this never happens to me (regardless of OS) - people take one look at my keyboard and then go find their own computer. Which I count as a win-win.

• I'm Hiding 🇦🇺@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Same - though my keycaps are still qwerty at first glance, people usually don’t get much further than a few keystrokes into a Google search before they decide not to bother!

• Jonesy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

When I first started using it, I definitely had the urge to tell people I know about it. The more I think about it, I tend to do that with anything I find that is a significant improvement, at least in my eyes, from whatever I used before.

• TONKAHANAH@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Gnu Linux does have an actual lengthy license agreement.

It’s that license agreement that keeps it free and open and also ensures that people can’t just steal it, claim it as their own, and then open legal disputes against anyone who who tries to use it them selves (among other legal things in sure).

• salt@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

i don’t know anything about linux tbh but i want yall to know i get the same weird enjoyment out of these that i did with trebuchetmemes and prequelmemes. like even if i don’t know what yall are talking about sometimes, i still feel your vibe

• Krafting@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yes, they all function slightly differently, but at the end of they day they’re mostly the same.

I’d recommend Fedora Workstation, which is a good balance between stability and uptodate software! Or Linux Mint if you want a more tradictionnal windows-styled layout!