Recently an idea came across my mind, and that is with all the fuss around Lemmy and fediverse in general, that i could spend my nights working on something instead of watching random YouTube stuff. So I’ve decided i could start building some kind of Android app, which will just be my time killer for the time being.

Just for some background info - I’m by no means considering myself a programmer, but I do write a lot of scripts/extensions/forms for software we use at work, which is mainly Microsoft stuff associated with .NET, so when it comes to programming I’m most familiar with C# and the whole .NET ecosystem. Lately I’ve also got into JS/TS with React as I wanted to create my own website.

Because I like C# as a language, i was looking into building this project in some kind of cross platform framework. I researched and found out about MAUI, Avalonia UI and such. As I was researching I found a lot of opinions on those frameworks, some of which were positive and some of which were negative. The negative ones outweigh the positive ones (bugs, broken basic features, messy workarounds, outdated underlying platform APIs) and such. I do know that such framework cannot be perfect because there is a lot of going on, and I would like to hear some more opinions.

So guys what are your experiences with those .NET frameworks? How is the XAML holding up? And do you think I would be better learning Flutter/Dart or straight up Kotlin, as the only platform I’m willing to develop for is Android?

Thanks!