• massive_bereavement@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

When they said this would be hard sci-fi, I actually imagined myself piloting an actual space ship and doing astronaut things, not a glorified magic plane.

If someone is looking for what Starfield offers but better, here are my recommendations at a fraction of cost:

• Space combat, but better: Everspace, Everspace 2, House of the Dying Sun, Chorus, FTL
    • Hard(ish) Sci-fi shooter, but better: Titanfall 2, Call of Duty Infinity Warfare, Mass Effect (technically not FPS)
    • Exploration, but better: Outer wilds, No Man’s Sky, Astroneer, Deep Rock Galactic (I would say subnautica but that’s not really space).
    • Privateering, but better: Star traders: Frontiers (Though not 3D).

Maybe the issue is that this game, like NMS before, tried to be everything to everyone and didn’t develop towards something meaningful.

Hopefully, like NMS will find its soul and develop into something worth playing. (IMO)

EDIT: This is a stealthy way of getting recommendations ;)

• Wahots@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

If you like these sorts of games (particularly games like Titanfall and Subnautica, or DRG), you might really like Elite Dangerous. Has a big learning curve, but it’s a “once every decade or two” game when it comes to scratching a deep deep Sci fi itch. 1:1* milky way, set thousands of years in the future, with a variety of ships and missions,with excellent HOTAS and VR support. Co-op up to five people, even more if you are in a public server. FPS game with a variety of vehicles, from small cars to aircraft carriers 4x the length of the burj Khalifa.

• the milky way is cut down slightly, as the core of our galaxy is so dense with stars, it melts computers and makes it impossible to fly between stars, which are almost as dense as sand in a sandbox.
      • Katana314@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

My memory of Elite Dangerous is trying to start auto-undocking, and the flight computer putting me on hold because of another person floating around in the docking bay. Eventually, it aborted the auto-undock; and the tutorial had not taught me how to release the controls to manually undock. So, eventually the station’s security systems flagged me as flying in unpermitted space and destroyed my ship.

So that does seem to echo the “big learning curve” bit.

• Wahots@pawb.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

The tutorials are a bit rough, haha. I found the actual game easier. There’s some great YouTube guides that help with the basics, how to make money easily, how to get certain ships, etc. Makes the game a lot easier. :)

• buzziebee@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Elite is fantastic at being Elite, I’m actually glad starfield isn’t like elite though. Elite is all about the beautiful desolation of space, and the attempts of humanity to carve out a place in that desolation. But there’s not really any story or characters or much stuff that isn’t procedurally generated. It’s just you and the grind in a really pretty world.

When I have an itch that elite will scratch I pop on and enjoy being in the cockpit (especially in VR). Im playing starfield to scratch that BGS rpg itch. If I had to manually jump from system to system and fly my ship in to land everytime I want to do a small quest I’d be really put off of starfield.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

I think my biggest pet peeve with Starfield is the whole looter aproach all Bethesda games have, which means during the first mission, I spent more time rumaging through stuff and figuring out how to break into rooms to get more loot than actually playing the mission.

Not because I like looting, but because I think that if I miss an important item, at some point in the game I’ll be locked out of it and require grinding which is my kryptonite.

• buzziebee@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Oh yeah I definitely feel the inventory management pain issue lol. Some people have been complaining that you can’t open every draw in every room, there’s so so much loot already that I’m glad tbh that it’s usually only yellow crates and bodies that are worth looting. Having a ship with a large inventory helps massively for me. I can dump all my resources in there, and dump all the armour and loot me and my companions haul back from missing a there, them just go on a selling spree in between a few missions. Almost hit a million in income and 90% of that is from loot from killed enemies.

At level 25 now so starting to hit a real limit on how much money shopkeepers have. Would be nice to unlock richer traders, or do missions for them which gives them more capital or something. It’ll probably mean that I only bother looting things worth 5k or something going forward as otherwise it’s more mass than worth the effort looting and selling. Maybe that’s an intentional game design? Force people to not spend all day looting and managing inventory space?

• Tathas@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I haven’t played Elite Dangerous since the first year it came out. At that time it was the very definition of “A mile wide and an inch deep” though.

Has it gotten any deeper?

• Wahots@pawb.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

If you haven’t played since 2014, it has gotten a lot deeper, haha. Hell, there’s even a whole human civilization around Sag A* these days.

• riceandbeans161
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

i remember doing the run to Sag A* in a single day a few years ago. In full VR with HOTAS. Experiencing that black hole like that is still one of my best gaming memories of all time.

The fact that there’s now a full human civilisation out there blows my mind.

• Tathas@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Hah oh yeah? I had been part of some organized effort in the early days to flip a system ownership, and after a large amount of people working hard on missions for a couple months, they finally admitted that it wasn’t functional yet.

• jet@hackertalks.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Surprised you didn’t mention the star citizen and space engineers. They have that I’m a space mining cowboy aspect nailed down pretty well.

• jet@hackertalks.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Mostly true, but it is playable and amazing. I’m in love with the fact I can go from waking up in a bunk, to a space station, to mining a airless moon, all without loading screens seamlessly. Super immersive.

Buggy as all get out, lol

• pimento64@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Privateering, but better: Star traders: Frontiers (Though not 3D).

Also Endless Sky, which is free

• HarkMahlberg@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Exploration and Space combat: Endless Space 2. I have my share of problems with that game but it’s effectively Civilization In Space. You can explore star systems, and you can fight space pirates.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I love mods, but often they come with the trade-off of balancing issues.
        A big chunk in gameplay design and development is balancing and while I agree some mods are great, they tend to mess with balance heavily, making it either easier or a whole spiky mess.

• CIWS-30@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Thanks for the recommendations! I’ll look into these, and already have dipped my feet into stuff like Everspace 2 and Outer Wilds. Some of these are on Xbox Game Pass as well, which is cool.

• Zeusbottom@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

When they said this would be hard sci-fi, I actually imagined myself piloting an actual space ship and doing astronaut things

So, KSP 1&2 then? :)