After months of struggling to find agreement on just about anything in a divided Congress, lawmakers are returning to Capitol Hill to try to avert a government shutdown, even as House Republicans consider whether to press forward with an impeachment inquiry into President Joe Biden.

A short-term funding measure to keep government offices fully functioning will dominate the September agenda, along with emergency funding for Ukraine, federal disaster funds and the Republican-driven probe into Hunter Biden’s overseas business dealings.

Time is running short for Congress to act. The House is scheduled to meet for just 11 days before the government’s fiscal year ends on Sept. 30, leaving little room to maneuver. And the deal-making will play out as two top Republicans, Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky and Rep. Steve Scalise of Louisiana, deal with health issues.

• atzanteol@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Practically everything the GOP does these days is just retaliation. They wanted to impact Biden before he was in office ffs.

• assassin_aragorn@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

The Republicans from districts which voted for Biden must be several drinks deep already. Either they buck the party line and become reviled, or they give into the obvious far right bullshit and become reviled. Either way, their careers are done. It’s the sort of unenviable position that’s only possible when you sell your soul to be a Republican.

Even better, the plurality blames Republicans for the debt ceiling crisis. Leadership is aware that these childish stunts are a net negative for them. Combining a shutdown with a frivolous impeachment is throwing water into an oil fire.

• blazera@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Ive heard false death knells for republicans way too many times over several decades. After Trump, theres no amount of depravity conservative voters arent willing to overlook.

• HipHoboHarold@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

If anything, I feel like ditching Trump might help them. He goes to prison, it’s the deep state democrats. Oh, we’re you in the Republicans Against Trump group? Well he’s gone, so we can being in people who sat the same things, bur sounds smarter sometimes. Hello fellow kids. I’m a cool radical liberal, much like you! Now that the orange man(Ha! Remember that meme!) is gone, we can totes relax and hang out with our bros, instead of worrying about politics!

Luckily I think a lot of people have realized it’s much bigger than Trump, but they just need enough people to fall for it.

• blazera@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

what part of you treating it like a death knell is going to accomplish anything? What are you doing other than just waiting hoping conservatives learn their lesson this time? Please stop looking to conservatives to fix anything, to amend their ways. No matter the scandal, expect conservative voters to still rally behind their reps to oppose progress. If Trump went into an elementary school and started gunning down kids, expect conservatives to take it as the beginning of their uprising against education and follow suit.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Oh that isn’t what I mean. I don’t expect conservatives to change one bit. By death knell, I mean the end of Republican party in national relevance. Their views are quickly becoming so unpopular that even gerrymandering can’t save them.

I think for instance if they lose in 2024, the GOP might collapse and fracture. What would come next however, I don’t know. But we’d be rid of fascists and bigots with any real power, hopefully.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                10 months ago

My hope (and I don’t think it’s unfounded) is that the democratic party splits in half. The neoliberals take the democratic party name and moderate/conservative position and a new progressive party is created to their left.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 months ago

This is my thinking as well actually. It should be put off as long as possible to make sure they don’t spoil each other in elections (until we get ranked choice anyway). But in the long term, I absolutely see Democrats absorbing those closer to the center and becoming a centrist/conservative party for economics, and progressives splitting off to make a progressive party, which would have enormous gains in popularity.

They’d all be socially liberal though. You’d still have a Trump party, but they’d be uninteresting and unimportant dregs, who are the home for social conservatives. They’ll be who we look at to remind ourselves our opponent could always be worse.

• CluelessLemmyng@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

They’re going to try to do to Biden that they did to Clinton. Investigate until anything puts him in court, whether it’s true or not.

• Th4tGuyII@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Wouldn’t it be great if they could stop playing chicken with people’s lives…

They treat it like a game because it’s not them that suffer at the end, it’s the gov employees at the bottom living paycheck to paycheck who get screwed over when their check doesn’t come in because of a House dick measuring contest.

• Cheers@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Need to figure out some malicious compliance during these annual periods to wake up the Republicans. Maybe a password leak because IT is down? :)

• TwoGems@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Which one though? Countries in Europe are having fascism issues too like Italy, Poland, and probably more.

• KptnAutismus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

people are willingly voting a nazi party into power in germany right now. not a good idea to come here anytime soon.

• justhach@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Like most right wing parties across the world, appeals to traditionalism, xenophobia, and deregulation of industry.

• gullible@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Who do your xenophobes hate? In the US, it’s largely Mexicans due to the southern border, but I don’t think Germany hates Austria and Switzerland.

• yeather@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Really? Poland is the country you went for? Not Italy, with the actual Fascist offshoot party in power and the actual granddaughter of Mussolini in their parliament?

• Albbi@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

The USA is one of the only countries in the world that will tax citizens who are living and working in foreign countries. So there may be benefits depending on your situation.

• Furbag@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Most countries require you to renounce your citizenship to foreign nations as part of their immigration and alien residency program.

The United States is one place where they do not require you to actually live/reside within the borders to maintain citizenship, but they still tax you as if you did, even if you have dual citizenship or fully reside in another country.

• Furbag@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I always find that tidbit amusing. There was a joke circling the US political sphere back around the time of Brexit that Boris Johnson was Donald Trump’s parasitic twin, but they were separated at birth. I want to believe.

• Pratai@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Impeachment? Biden?

Could they be any more butthurt? They have nothing on him, we know this- they know this- but anything to waste time and money from the “conserving” party, right?

What a fucking joke they are.

• Queen HawlSera@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Reminder: Trump didn’t get removed because the GOP literally banned the use of evidence at the hearing for his removal.

• atzanteol@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I remember when the GOP claimed to be the party of “fiscal responsibility”. Now they’re going to drive the country’s credit rating into the ground over spite.

• No_Eponym@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Life in America is like a drunk game of Jenga.

• Fitch Ratings, August 1st, 2023
  • Fades@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Such fucking bullshit the amount of time allotted to fuck off and not do their jobs, shit even without that most of em don’t show up when they feel like it

• downpunxx@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Republicans, staring down four Trump trials upcoming, have absolutely nothing else, the government will be shut down, it’s 100% unavoidable, all stories leading to “will it be/won’t it be” are advertising bait, the government will be shut down by Republican intransigence, guaranteed.

• orclev@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Careful, he’s really good at just standing there and staring awkwardly. He’s been practicing a lot recently in the middle of his speeches.

• orclev@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Huh… you’re right. For some reason I was thinking McConnel was the speaker of the house. Might be because I’ve mostly seen him referred to as Moscow Mitch or just “the turtle” for so long.

• CharlesDarwin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

The GOP is completely unserious. It’s too bad they have too much power in relation to their numbers. I wish they did not gain the House, esp given the fascist-loving goons they have in there…

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

WASHINGTON (AP) — After months of struggling to find agreement on just about anything in a divided Congress, lawmakers are returning to Capitol Hill to try to avert a government shutdown, even as House Republicans consider whether to press forward with an impeachment inquiry into President Joe Biden.

The president and congressional leaders, including Republican House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, are focused on passage of a months-long funding measure, known as a continuing resolution, to keep government offices running while lawmakers iron out a budget.

It’s a step Congress routinely takes to avoid stoppages, but McCarthy faces resistance from within his own Republican ranks, including from some hardline conservatives who openly embrace the idea of a government shutdown.

For example, House Republicans added provisions blocking abortion coverage, transgender care and diversity initiatives to a July defense package, turning what has traditionally been a bipartisan effort into a sharply contested bill.

The inquiries have not produced evidence that President Biden took official action on behalf of his son or business partners, but McCarthy has called impeachment a “natural step forward” for the investigations.

Schumer said the Senate would work on legislation to lower the costs of drugs, address rail safety and provide disaster relief after floods in Vermont, fires in Hawaii and a hurricane in Florida.

The original article contains 1,324 words, the summary contains 214 words. Saved 84%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• OldWoodFrame@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I’m 100% on board with a compromise of an impeachment inquiry for a passed law funding the government. I don’t think Biden did anything impeachable, but I think voters are smart enough to parse that. They didn’t vote against Democrats in the Clinton midterm.

• DigitalTraveler42@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

If Biden didn’t do anything wrong, and he didn’t, then he shouldn’t be impeached, you’re just enabling our abusers and letting them get away with subverting democracy with their bullshit political theater attempts, and wasting our tax money on it.

This is just more Benghazi level bullshit from the Republicans.

• OldWoodFrame@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

If the alternative is a government shutdown, I don’t care about bullshit political theater. Newsflash, there will be bullshit political theater regardless.

• OldWoodFrame@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

It’s not surrender to make a compromise. It’s politics, deals have to get made. In this case it isn’t even really the Democrats giving anything up since the Republicans have the power to open the impeachment inquiry without even voting on it, Pelosi did that for Trump.

• ProfessorScience@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I’m with you on this. If the cost of avoiding a shutdown were just an inquiry I’d take it; I’m worried we’ll give away something more valuable. They’re so inept I think the most likely outcome of an inquiry is that they embarrass themselves anyway.