We look at carbon emissions of electric, hybrid, and combustion engine vehicles through an analysis of their life cycle emissions.

• SmolderingSauna@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m coming from a vehicle OEM. Down cycling isn’t recycling: we can’t decompose EV batteries and reuse/recycle like we can, say, steel.

• Nessussus@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

@SmolderingSauna Sorry, I’m coming from a PhD in chemistry, and that’s BS. There is more than one process to recycle the the metals in batteries, and they’re all >98% recovery. Atoms are atoms. They’re not alchemically trasmuted into other elements.

The reason that they’re being used is because they’re still good. When they’re no longer good, they can be recycled. It’s just going to take another decade before we have a substantial need for recycling them. That’s not a bad thing.

@Tigbitties

• BourbonLaser@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

@Nessussus that’s great insight. I recall reading a paper about using magnetic fields to enhance performance of some EV battery cells.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2211285521009538

There is so much research into new, innovative ways, to build a better battery and increase performance. I have no doubt that the total carbon footprint of EVs will continue to decrease. Smaller batteries, lighter weight, increased range, faster charging. All good things.

Can you recommend any relevant papers about EV battery recycling? I’d be interested to learn more about that process.