Tiba al-Ali’s death has sparked the call for change for violence against women in Iraq.

• MuhammadJesusGaySex@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I mean that’s not how China did it, also I didn’t say I agreed with it. You read way too much into it. As far as Mao’s cultural revolution goes. It was brutal for reasons other than what you listed, and it was successful because it worked.

I just want to make it clear that I don’t endorse genocide. I never said I did. You assumed that’s what I meant for some reason, and you know what happens when you assume?

• SulaymanF@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

That’s absolutely how China does it, there are concentration camps in Xinjiang and they are imprisoning Uyghurs for praying. The evidence is stark and there are UN talks with NGOs and many many news reports from survivors. Why would you side with this?

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

There are now. You are correct, but that’s not how China got rid of religion amongst the Chinese people during the cultural revolution. Which is what I was talking about.

See, Mao followed Stallin’s playbook. You get rid of the smart, the rich, and religious. That makes it easier to pull everyone together under the same banner. They both got rid of the bourgeoisie. They both got rid of intelligentsia. But only China was able to get rid of religion among the Chinese people.

You are correct though that today they use “reeducation camps”. Which is why they haven’t been as successful this time around. As someone else pointed out in this thread. When you use force to take away a religious identity. Stories about, and instructions for going underground are built into the teachings.

Anyway, you are right, but I was talking about the Chinese people proper. The Han Chinese I guess.

• SulaymanF@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

I’m not going to waste my time on someone who is an apologist for genocide and concentration camps, just because it happens to people you have a prejudice against.

Edit: and someone with a troll username should have tipped me off that it’s not debating them in good faith. That’s not an ad hominem.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

First off I’m going to call Ad Hominem fallacy.

But…

I never said that what China was doing was ok. As someone that visited Tibet, and then was made to leave early by the CCP. I’m no fan of china or genocide. I think we can all agree that concentration camps are not ok.

But religions aren’t just what they say. They are what they do. For instance, I don’t think it says to SA kids in the Bible. Yet they seem to have a propensity for it. The Quran doesn’t say anything about honor killings, but if Muslims do it. Then it’s a Muslim thing.