cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

To be fair to the other side, it’s entirely possible (and even common) to have worked in a field for 20 years while learning completely incorrect things about it. Or learning nothing.

People say things like “I’ve used a computer every day for 20 years, I think I know how it works” and then ask if they should “reboot the hard drive” and then they power cycle the monitor.

• turmacar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

You can also form very strong opinions early in your career and not know when they’re now invalid due to changes in tech/industry.

Was getting a quote for a new heat pump and had the guy tell me they were worthless if it got too cold. There have been consumer heat pumps that work down to -15°C with very little efficiency loss for well over a decade at this point. He had just been used to them not being worth it for long enough that he “didn’t believe it”.

• Acters@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Ah, the classic stick to their guns instead of doing a quick search to find something new even when there has been a lengthy amount of time between the last time they did initial research and now.