• demlet@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

That’s a roundabout way of saying that all men should be okay with it because some men have historically done the same thing to women, which is what I meant by the word “payback”. I disagree with the premise that one is acceptable but not both. Either both are or both aren’t, that’s the only position that actually describes equality.

• criitz@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

This image illustrates why pure “equality” isn’t the right goal pretty well I think. I’m not saying all men or any men need to be OK with anything. It’s not payback, it’s that each has a different impact based on context of the reality that we live in.

• demlet@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

So we want people to have an equal outcome. That’s perfectly fine, and something I fully support. The difference is that no one in the right image has to be treated badly for everyone to be happy. If we accept that, in the abstract and lacking full context of possible consensual behavior between adults, objectifying people sexually is treating people badly, then we shouldn’t want it for anyone, nor find it amusing.

• criitz@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

OK well if you find objection in the depiction regardless of gender I respect that