• Peddlephile@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Give me a European style apartment with high ceilings and generous space and you have yourselves a deal!

That said, I’ve been working in my local building industry for almost 20 years and the trend that I see is that though there are more apartments being built, the quality has tanked. We have huge issues with mould, flammable facades, exploding glass, alternatives are rampant through the roof and price gouging.

Unfortunately this has fed the idea that apartment living is no good.

• cpjoa
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Out of curiosity, isn’t this the case for houses as well?

• Peddlephile@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

For my local industry, at least, generally houses are built better (not that they’re that great compared to houses built in the 80s or earlier) because the materials aren’t bought in bulk like they do for apartments and there’s less opportunity to ‘off spec’ (cheap alternative products).

That’s not to say that cheap materials aren’t used but there’s a lot less pressure to go bottom of the barrel. Plus, the home owner also has a bit more control than an apartment owner during construction.

There’s also a lot more that can go wrong in an apartment than in a house. Lifts, for example. We had an issue in one of the high rises in the city where a lift was broken and there was a huge queue. Whereas in houses, the main issue I’ve been seeing in housing is poorly built housing extensions from unqualified builders.

All in all, it’s more liveable to be in a poorly built house than in a poorly built apartment.