Despite what Canada’s nation hating extreme right would have you believe.

• pancakes@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

It might be the second best, but I feel like that’s more of a statement on the rest of the world failing in specific areas than on Canada excelling.

We’re a B- student in every class. Sure, it’s not the highest score and in every subject we’re usually surpassed by other countries, but most other countries don’t have a B- average due to major issues of some kind.

• MapleEngineer@lemmy.caOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Canada has been in the top two or three for a very long time. Someone challenged that the rest of the world was falling and Canada was probably way lower in 2016. I went back and checked and we were number 2 in 2016 as well.

• Grimpen@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Pretty much. They’re complaining about housing prices and inflation just as much or more in New Zealand, Germany and the UK.

Canada probably is a B- but has the advantage of being next door to the largest economy in the world. Canada is also vast with abundant resources. We were always going to be a prosperous country as long as we can avoid too much corruption (Russia is a more vast country with more abundant resources, but…)

I still think it’s useful to look at other countries that may even be beneath us (according to this list) and borrow liberally from where they exceed us. We are doing about as well as anyone else, but we can do better.