Right now, you create an identity by signing up to a Lemmy/Mastodon/Kbin/Matrix/etc. instance, and you need a separate identity for each app (if you want the full experience, though you can interact in some ways with only one identity).

Could it be possible to make an app that handles just authentication? So I could identify myself as @TheButtonJustSpins@example.com and respond to login requests from each type of app (since the login process doesn’t seem to be unified)? Then just use whichever app/interface makes sense at the time?

So I could log in with Jerboa or Element by pointing them to the instance of the authentication app, but then use Jerboa or Element to interact with the fediverse?

(FYI: I seem to be unable to respond to comments.)

• NotSteve_@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Agreed. It’s the one thing I kind of worry about with the fediverse. I don’t want to lose my account and subscriptions if and when the instance I signed up for gets shut down due to lack of funds

• FlaxPicker@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Wonder if someone could use the feddie instances as a sort of block chain for storing account auth info. Any instance could validate a users login by talking to other instances. If an instance goes down, that login and user info would still be stored in other instances and never in just one.