Tyson Foods and the federal government refuse to show their math for a new sustainability label.

• the_q@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I disagree with this. The notion of ending a happy life is more cruel than ending a suffering life. How bout we just don’t raise animals for slaughter?

If you’re able to choose to not eat meat then I believe that is the morally correct choice.

• OldWoodFrame@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

The ethical problem is weighing a happy life cut short vs no life at all. There’s no mathematical solution.

• the_q@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

This is under the impression that life as a concept is good. I know personally that I’d rather never have been born. Being born isn’t some cosmic lottery that souls just float around in the void hoping they win.

• Bolt@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

As much as I’m generally on your side, that’s not honestly answering the premise, which is that those chickens do live a happy live.

I personally don’t seek so-called ethical meat because every example I’ve looked into has been a lie, and if it does exist it’s not worth my time to comb through supply lines in search for a product whose origin I would always worry about, and that I can do perfectly well without.

• the_q@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

Imagine you’re living a happy life. One day someone comes up to you and ends that life. You don’t know why it happened, but your happy life has now been ended. How is that any less disturbing than a chicken’s experience?

I agree with the ethical meat comment. That’s why I don’t bother and just eat plants.

• SCB@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

This kind of edgy comment has no place in real discussion, because of you were serious about it, you wouldn’t be able to post it because you’d be dead.

Your comment demeans and trivializes suicidal ideation.

• SCB@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              10 months ago

I am a survivor of suicide, which is why I take this kind of tripe seriously.

Throwing doubts about how serious people are about suicide is important. Wanting to kill yourself is a sign of an illness, not a position one reasons themselves into.

• the_q@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

I’m sorry you’ve experienced that.

I have CPTSD which if you or anyone reading doesn’t know is continued, long term traumatic experiences. I’m much older than my “edgy” comments seem at 42. My life experience has led to my illness, but reorganizing and unraveling the knot of that experience has led to this view of life not being something I’m happy to have to continue. The real kicker is that having stripped away the “life is worth living” propaganda has given me some peace. However, there isn’t anything on this planet that is more corrosive than happy people telling you to be happy.

• SCB@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 months ago

If it gives you peace, I am happy for that. I hope we can agree to disagree and see that we both have positive intent.

• Chaotic Entropy@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

I just can’t help but dismiss out of hand these sorts of melodramatic comments that aim for maximum angst while stating nothing of value.

• the_q@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

It’s not melodrama and if you can’t gain any knowledge from what I’ve said, that’s on you.

I’ve not had the best experience with life and just as your experience has painted your opinion in a more positive light, mine has painted mine negatively. It doesn’t discount my view or bolster yours.

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

So why would anyone listen to you about how to live it, especially ethically? No, really I am asking. I don’t want someone in my government heading up an agency that they don’t think should exist, or someone at my job who doesn’t want to work there, or date someone who doesn’t want to be with me.

If you don’t want to exist that is your baggage but for those of us who do why would we trust you to tell us how to exist?

Ethics is for us humans to figure out how to have a good life with other people also having one. It isn’t for serving some abstract concept. When you start the Peter Singer games you turn it from a practical art to worship of some secular idol.

• the_q@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

I don’t expect anyone to listen to me. Read the comments here. If anything my opinion has done a pretty good job of uniting people against how I view things.

You don’t have to trust me or listen to my views. However, everyone that’s responded to me has implied that I should exist as they do.

If ethics as a concept has the job of focusing solely on humans having a good life then it’s a failure.

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

If ethics as a concept has the job of focusing solely on humans having a good life then it’s a failure.

Citation needed.