Hello everyone, I have never owned a laptop before( PC user from the very start), I want a laptop for my IT career(coding stuff) but I have a really low budget and wanna buy just a second hand laptop that can run some lightweight Linux distro. The thing is that laptop prices are really high here in India, you can get a second hand laptop that has an i5 and 4gb ram for about rs.17000 (204 dollars), my aunt is in Canada and they are coming back to India next year so i can just ask them to bring me a laptop I went to ebay.com and found some really cheap options like “HP ELITE BOOK 840 G1” for just 30 dollars, now the question is that is it okay to buy a 30-60 dollar laptop from eBay and will they allow it while passing through the airport ???

• Moobythegoldensock@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

You should be fine, though that price for a laptop sounds scammy. I’d expect you to pay about $60-70 for an i5 with 4 GB of RAM.

Also, get yourself a cheap SSD if the laptop didn’t originally have one. Not sure if that’s going to be cheaper in Canada or India.

• deepinder_brar@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I don’t know much about these laptop prices, but i’ve seen some youtubers trying out 30 35 dollar laptops, but considering that it can be a scam I will consider buying a 50 60 dollar laptop instead