Hey! Thanks to the whole Reddit mess, I’ve discovered the fediverse and its increidible wonders and I’m lovin’ it :D

I’ve seen another post about karma, and after reading the comments, I can see there is a strong opinion against it (which I do share). I’d love to hear your opinions, what other method/s would you guys implement? If any ofc

• Invalid@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Karma farming has always been one of the worst aspects of the other place. Repost bots will sustain them long after the humans are all gone.

Throwaways are still an issue with banning.

Some kind of participation based scoring would just bring us back to farming and alienates lurkers.

Account age is unreliable.

Hmm… I hate leaving the burden on mods but karma has too many negatives.

• VGarK@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It is doable for the mods when the community has 100 members, after that, it gets hard for the poor mods ;(

• Limeey@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

“Karma Farming” is only an issue to people who place excessive value on karma. For the rest of us, people posting content that people like is not a problem, it’s in fact the goal of the entire website.

“I’ve already seen this!! Why is it being reposted!” is such a selfish perspective, not everyone stalks these websites and every time it’s posted it reaches a new audience, why does it upset you that people like seeing these things?