Hey! Thanks to the whole Reddit mess, I’ve discovered the fediverse and its increidible wonders and I’m lovin’ it :D

I’ve seen another post about karma, and after reading the comments, I can see there is a strong opinion against it (which I do share). I’d love to hear your opinions, what other method/s would you guys implement? If any ofc

• Tashlan@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This tends to assume that each individual is a sincere member of a conversation, but real parties also don’t have swarms of robots and clones wearing disguises coming in to try to destroy your house. User reducing visibility is a strong first-line defense against bad actors that doesn’t require 24/7 moderators. If you poke through big, popular Facebook pages, like the NYT, and look through their comment sections, you’ll often find a ton of copy-pasted spam, scams, etc. (“this psychic saved my marriage! this accountant made me a bitcoin millionaire!”) I don’t believe the up/down system can be the only way to preserve the ability for people to have conversations, but we shouldn’t forget what problems these systems were created to solve.

• Leafeytea@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That’s fair. My view still is that such replies are easy to spot, so they don’t pose as big of an issue as might seem.