• Draghetta@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I can’t really see myself going to a doctor and saying “could you please test me for adhd? see there is this community that posts adhd memes and I find them relatable”

I space out all the time when I’m not captivated, but I have no particular struggle focusing on stuff I really care about - in fact the world disappears when that happens. I might be wrong but it doesn’t look like adhd.

• Phen@lemmy.eco.br
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Issues with attention are one of the smallest problems of adhd. It’s only named after that because that’s what parents and teachers notice on kids and get annoyed by. The same way as you get to be labeled a “high functioning” autistic if you learn how to not annoy others with your problems.

The world disappearing when you’re doing something you care about feels very adhd tbh. The underlying issue with adhd is that our brain often fails to get positive feedback from doing small things like completing tasks, then over time the brain starts resenting having to do these things because there’s no reward, and it tries to force you into looking for something more rewarding to do. When It does find something rewarding to focus on, it latches into it and doesn’t let go.

Me, personally, I feel like I have two moods only: distracted and annoyed. If my focus is on something rewarding I’m distracted by it and think about nothing else. I forget about troubles and tasks and responsibilities. I feel rested and happy. When that’s not the case, I get so annoyed that just existing feels painful.

• Martineski@lemmy.dbzer0.comOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I can’t really see myself going to a doctor and saying “could you please test me for adhd? see there is this community that posts adhd memes and I find them relatable”

This is exactly how a lot of people get diagnosed so I recommend you to do that too if you suspect having ADHD.

• JCreazy@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I did that (I didn’t tell the doctor about the memes ) but I told the doctor how I felt. I had to fill out a questionnaire and the doctor diagnosed me with anxiety and depression but told me all the ADHD behaviors I thought I was having was normal for everyone. This was a couple years ago and was put on SSRIs which I felt didn’t do much so I stopped taking them a year ago and I feel no different.

• db0@hachyderm.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

@Draghetta @db0@lemmy.dbzer0.com lol being able to concentrate very well only when something interests you and not at all when it doesn’t is **stereotypical ADHD** 😁. You don’t have to be diagnosed if by now you’ve learned to cope with it, but read up on on it at least. People with ADHD who know they have it even if not diagnosed by a doctor can find more peace and better ways to handle it.