I think one of the things that helped keep r/synthesizers active was the automatic creation of weekly threads like “Friday Hangout”, where you could leave casual thoughts that might not feel worthy of a top-level post. So, why not try something similar here?

Consider this a trial run. If people like it, maybe we’ll make it a weekly thing. I welcome suggestions for a better title.

• Shadowbait@waveform.socialOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I’m in a similar boat as a solo indie dev making my own soundtrack along with everything else. I’ve made one game soundtrack before, but that’s not enough to really feel like I know what I’m doing.

I frequently make tables and checklists to keep track of progress on things, i.e. different stages of completion like:

• Sketch (a rough theme and maybe some accompanying parts)
    • Mockup (arranging A/B sections and so forth but they’re just copy/pasted with no variation)
    • Draft (got the general idea of the variations and full arrangement, but not polished)
    • Beta (mostly final probably, but need to check it on different speakers and probably tweak the mix/master)
    • Release candidate (I think I’m done)

In the later stages I’ll take notes as I listen through looking for the things that stand out most I want to change, then go back and work on those things one by one. I might also have a checklist of things I want to be sure to pay attention to on every track, i.e. making sure there’s enough variation in percussion parts across the track, because I have a bad habit of making simple drum loops and forgetting to spice it up if I don’t have that reminder.