hi, i was interested if perl is still relevant in this day and age. Perl has been on the decline for a very long time now. Perl 6 (now named 'raku) not being backwards compatible with perl 5 code made the already small perl community even smaller by splitting it in half. A good example is lisp with it’s thousands of different dialects.

Is it still worth using or is it bound to legacy software forever? Like cobol.

• El Barto@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Sometimes I want to write a quick oneliner or a quick algorithm to test things out. Or not worry about indentation when trying a solution I might discard in five minutes.

With Python, I don’t have that choice.

• El Barto@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Single line ID? What do you mean?

Edit: I got it now.

So I can place multiple for loops and conditional statements in one single line in Python?

• tsz@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

List comprehension can actually do that, yes. This is one of the scripting aspects of python I use most commonly, and is probably one of its best-known features for creating “one liners”.

• El Barto@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

I read about it since I was curious. It seems like you have to craft your code in a certain way for it to be a one-liner. Whereas with many other languages, you don’t need to do such a thing. You just put everything in one line and off you go.

Having said that, from a challenge-seeking perspective, writing python oneliners sound fun (I really mean this.)

• tsz@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

Absolutely bizarrely incorrect take on like everything you’ve stated as though it were fact. This is some classic reddit hole-digging and I’m loving it.

• El Barto@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                10 months ago

You brought me to the middle of the road in an interesting discussion about oneliners and you shove me back to the start. Way to go, buddy.

“Hurr durr u wrong u redditor!!”

Instead of feeling offended, why don’t you continue the conversation? Give me some proof that the stuff I read os wrong. Give me some examples, I’m curious!

• tsz@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  10 months ago

I’m no offended. It’s just weird listening to someone make shut up about something they clearly have no experience with outside of memes, while talking like it’s complete fact. It’s a strange thing to do.

• El Barto@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    10 months ago

At this point you’re making a lot of assumptions, and you haven’t address the main point. Keep going down that red herring. I did a bit of research, I thought my sources were legit. But oh no… instead of continuing a productive discussion, you had to go down the “u suck, meme boy.”

I was curious about python, with my reserves, and you’re not really helping. I hope you’re not a troll; just a fanatic, which is almost as useless as a troll.

I’ll give you one last chance. Otherwise, I’ll conclude that the python community on lemmy is not that welcoming.

• JTskulk@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I think it’s an autocorrect typo. Should be: If it is actually a single line, I’d argue that you do.