Maybe I‘ll mod my ps3 to make it emulate games. I heard that works pretty good.

I obviously would like to get tons of old games and since they’re not sold anywhere for a fair price, I deem it morally sound to find them.

I heard of „handheld retro gaming consoles“ which also have found games on them. Does anyone have experience with those?

Btw: Since the graphics are pretty low res, that could be a better alternative than the ps3 since the 55“ tv its hooked up to might make it look worse.

It’s just an idea at this point so I‘m happy for any direction. I figured c/retrogaming might be wrong since talking about finding unlicensed games might be against their rules. Feel free to advise me otherwise.

P.S.: Forgive the ignorance. I know my way around commandline and some medium advanced programming but I‘m not pro at sailing the high seas at all.

• Amphobet@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

If you want a handheld, Anbernic makes some good stuff. https://anbernic.com/ They do tend to load the SD card up with games beforehand, but the card is cheap & likely to fail, and the games are sorted & titled strangely (and may be otherwise dodgy). So you probably want to replace it with your own card with games you sourced yourself.

• HauiOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

This looks very cool! Which one of these do you have? How modern games are you able to play with it? Is ps3 possible or rather not?

• Amphobet@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I have an RG353V. I got that one for ~the aesthetic~ (looks like an old gameboy), and I do like it, but I can see why people generally suggest a model with a horizontal form factor instead, since the vertical (gameboy shaped) is not very ergonomic. I mainly stick to 8 or 16-bit games. but it should be able to handle 5th gen consoles (saturn, ps, n64) just fine, but 6th gen (dc, ps2, gamecube) will depend on what game you’re running and may require tweaking the settings. ps3 is right out, I’m afraid.

Like I said, I mainly run older stuff, so double check what I’m saying if 5th and 6th gen games are important to you. I don’t really mess with those.

• HauiOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Thank you very much! I will definitely check it out. 5th gen would be awesome but 6th gen is very much optional. :)