I keep seeing posts of some drama with typescript. What happened?

• glockenspiel@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Same boat: people who hate typescript and therefore ensuring type safety probably also hate unit tests because they are too inconvenient to awesome rockstar developers.

• 9point6@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

One hundred percent this. It reeks of the kind of ego you get from devs that think their code is so perfect it’s inherently easily maintainable.

I know junior devs that don’t struggle with types and unit testing—any dev that thinks they’re too good for either is immediately sub-junior in my assessment, because they’re clearly unable to write code intended to be maintained by a team.

• gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Lmao I’ve literally had conversations with people who have asked me to not be as rigorous with unit tests because you have to change some tests when you make a modification to the business logic.

Bro: that’s the fucking point.

• linearchaos@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I love unit tests but I hate the eternal struggle behind them.

We should make unit tests so we can tell when the build runs that the app is going to be consistent

Everyone cheers

We lose a sprint setting up unit tests

Oh this one test just went yellow, somebody spends a few hours figuring it out and finds that it’s a bug in the unit test. No no we’re good That’s just a bug in the unit test we’ll plan to fix that in the next Sprint.

Oh look now this unit test is going red we’re blocked. 2 hours later they find out that it’s a real problem but it’s not so bad that it overrides current feature work. Well we’re going to need to override that and we’ll have to fix it in the next sprint.

Unit test failures slowly degrade in priority to try to get feature work done. You end up with a backlog full of yellow and red known problems and no one pays any attention to you that tests anymore.

• Dioxy@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I think it’s more of a JSDoc > TS thing. I need to check the drama, but I don’t believe anyone would want to write vanilla JS without some type declarations…

• 9point6@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I don’t believe anyone would want to write vanilla JS without some type declarations…

I really hate to burst your bubble, but that’s exactly what’s going on