I keep seeing posts of some drama with typescript. What happened?

• Zikeji@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I usually write Typescript with Vue and SSR so my server and client are using the same tooling. If I was writing a basic frontend with minimal JavaScript I would just (and have) use jsdoc for typing.

But let’s be fair, what you mentioned as dependencies are development dependencies and don’t impact the end user (outside of poorly optimized build systems causing issues). Build systems can have some great benefits. Such as reducing file size by utilizing methods such as tree shaking to prune out the unused classes in a CSS library.

It just comes down to choosing the tools to suit the job. Sure, you can use a table saw to cut a stick but it’s probably easier just to use a handsaw. Whereas if you’re cutting a large plywood board you could make do with a handsaw but it’ll take longer and the result might not be pretty.

• TootSweet@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

don’t impact the end user

They do if I the developer am spending time maintaining my dependencies rather than implementing feature X that the end user wants.

Build systems can have some great benefits.

As does not having multiple distinct yet interacting build systems in one project.

unused classes in a CSS library.

I have yet to have a use for any CSS libraries. Maybe that has more to do with the problem domain in which I write than anything. Maybe some day I’ll run into a situation where I feel I’d be better served using a CSS library, but it hasn’t happened yet.