In this video I show off some different Lemmy instances and discuss why the lemmyverse and even some individual Lemmy instances can become a better alternative to Reddit.

(via. Odysee)

I dunno how the community collectively feels about Mental Outlaw in sum, but there’s content of his that has its way of piquing my interests. He just put up a video showcasing Lemmy, some instances, and the mechanics/interactions between them. Probably old news for many of us, but I think it’s always pretty cool to see Lemmy get its mention.

Beehaw specifically got its mention through the video and he briefly touches on Beehaw’s defederation from sh.itjust.works. I’m pretty confident he disagrees with the decision, but his opinion and description of things struck me as balanced and respectable enough. I’d wager that a more precise description of the intrigue would likely take as much time as the video itself.

Any thoughts on Mental Outlaw’s coverage of either Lemmy in sum or Beehaw? Anyone else seen creators they keep their eyes on give mention of Lemmy?

• Lengsel@latte.isnot.coffee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

He’s more entertainment or beginner’s guide than deep tech info.

I saw someone ranting, maybe a postig from a reddit comment, that Outlaw is too far right wing, I have no understanding of that for someone that talks about software and a little bit of culture.

How hollow and shallow someone has to be to view all opinions through politics.

• cryball@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

He seems to have a relatively anti government stance in various areas, eg. surveillance and the centrally driven monetary system. Those leaning right often have similar stances, so that might be why he is being put into the same mental box as them?

I agree that it’s a bit shallow to split people on the left/right axis merely based on a few ideas of how very specific aspects of the society are being run.

• Schooner@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Ah even leftists have these views? Those are common anti-establishment viewpoints.

• Jamie@jamie.moe
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I don’t personally find them offensive or think anything of them, but sometimes he does throw out a non-sequitur that I could see people disliking. He does do a good job at introducing topics in a digestible way though, and most of his takes aren’t all that bad.

• Lengsel@latte.isnot.coffee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Overall I like him. If I had a criticism, it’s that his videos are not technical enough and covers topics in a more general sense. Some people look for their ideal personality who has all of the traits they want and none of the characteristics that they don’t like. That person will never exist

For material, I try to feed the intellectual thirst.

• Mummelpuffin@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

For material, I try to feed the intellctual thirst.

Jesus Christ I can smell the pretetion from my toilet seat