• kyle@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Hey, I work with contact centers!

It’s such a niche tech space. To play a bit of devil’s advocate, a properly designed IVR will have “DTMF clamping” which veils the dial tones (the same ones you hear your phone play when dialing a number, did you ever notice the tones are unique?). The IVR should also disable logging completely. When on a call, they should be disabling call recording.

This is part of a process called PCI compliance, and it’s fucking huge, because the penalties for it are insane, tens of thousands of dollars per month, plus extra for each incident of non-compliance. Some companies do transactions in the millions, at a $50 fine a pop. British Airways was fined $229 million back in 2017 for exposing data.

So really, companies are always going to do their due diligence to make sure your financial data is safe. It’s too expensive not to.

• prr@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Holly shit, I did PCI IVRs! We were quite paranoid, like you can quess card number by side channel attacks like timings. It’s very niche, but fun part of tech world. PCI audits, security, HSMs, etc. Anyway, I never give my CC number 😆

• Cassidy@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

As it should be. The moment it becomes cheap enough to ignore the law, consumer rights get shoved out of the window.