• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Can you imagine how long it took to fall? So much time to be aware that you’re going to die. A death by torture. But his other option was die in a fire. I have no idea what I would choose.

• decadentrebel@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I’m not sure of the site schematics, but wouldn’t you die of smoke inhalation on most fires? If so, you’d be dead long before the flames touch you. There’s some discomfort for sure, but it’s worth considering over a long plummet to your death.

• IphtashuFitz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Flying through the air is a lot less painful than inhaling toxic smoke until you eventually pass out… Yeah you have time to contemplate things, but I’d find that preferable to my lungs burning on toxic crap…

• TheMightyCanuck@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Idk if you’ve ever tried to breath fire smoke… it’s incredibly painful

It’s not like CO2 or monoxide poisoning, you don’t just get sleepy. You’ll be retching and clawing at your throat in a desperate, involuntary attempt to gasp for air. Death will be incredibly painful and seem to take forever

• Swarfega@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Just a regular day going to work, not realising that soon you’ll need to choose how you die. Absolutely horrible.

• SomberBrain@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I remember watching a documentary some time ago about this falling man. There were a few families that sort of claimed this man (brother, father, etc) and one of those families was so offended this could be their family member because they were extremely catholic and in that religion, suicide means hell. It was so obnoxious to me, this man suffered a once in a lifetime agonizing experience and death, and these people were on tape judging him and claiming he couldn’t be their family member, because they loved God so he (jumping man) would never dare commit that ultimate sin. It made me want to slap them across the face, how little love/understand they show. How dare you judge a man that had no good options left!