I also had no idea the top portion of the Starship Enterprise could separate like that. That was pretty sweet.

• Doug [he/him]@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Season two also isn’t the greatest. But its got some solid stories that do affect things later.

Mostly I just can’t stand Pulaski

• Hyperreality@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I don’t like her either, but I would say that’s not because Muldaur is a bad actress, or because she was a bad character.

For example, her being a dick to Data really helped his character growth. She was abrasive but it really helped TNG grow its beard.

• m_r_butts@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I’ve read before that they were trying to recreate the rivalry between Spock and McCoy. Whether they did that intentionally or not, it fails with Data because he’s too innocent to reciprocate, so Pulaski was always punching down. To me, that did make her a bad character.

• Doug [he/him]@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

100%

She’s a great actress doing a fantastic job of playing a very unlikable character. Except that she’s not unlikable in the way a good unlikable character is. She’s not the way OP is feeling about Q.

But it’s not just the way she interacts with Data, which does result in character growth for both of them. I’m sure they were going for the adversarial thing but it didn’t work, with Data or anyone else.