• Semi-Hemi-Demigod@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

What’s possible for web apps today is insane considering where it started. I remember when AJAX was a brand new technology, and now you can do videoconferences with screenshare right in a web browser.

I think the push toward apps is because of influence from mobile. Everyone wants their own app, just like everyone wanted a dot com in the 90s. Hopefully we’ll stabilize around browsers and open standards.

• ono@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Hopefully we’ll stabilize around browsers and open standards.

I would love this, but I think it will require major privacy reform. The push toward apps comes overwhelmingly from a single source: surveillance capitalism.

• QuaternionsRock@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

The push towards apps is due to a collection of corporate interests that are of dubious value to the end user.

Apple, Google, and Microsoft prefer apps over websites because they can exert much more control over their functionality and operation (as well as collect that sweet sweet 30% royalty on all digital purchases). This is why they intentionally make Home Screen bookmarks so unintuitive and inconvenient compared to downloading an app (at least on iOS and Windows; not sure about Android). They’re also more difficult to make cross-platform, although this is becoming less and less of an issue as cross-platform libraries evolve).

App developers push for apps because they’re much stickier (especially due to the aforementioned bookmark situation; it’s all very intentional). Their app is right at the user’s fingertips until they explicitly decide to delete it. For streaming services and the like, app SDKs also tend to offer more robust DRM than their browser counterparts. That’s why, e.g., Hulu cripples their streaming bandwidth on browsers like Edge while their Windows app is not, even though their Windows app is very obviously just an Edge WebView 2 window. It’s pathetic, but it’s something they can point to in a meeting with their investors and say, “See? We’re doing something about piracy!” as if one trip to a piracy website doesn’t refute all their hard work.