I heard someone said that, at the end EV will cost you almost the same as gasoline vehicle, if you have to change the expensive battery every so often. Can someone please give me more info on this? Thank you so much.

• socsa@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

The statistical maintenance costs for cars just go up over time, with some pretty big bumps generally every 60k miles or so you put on the car. There are just a ton of straight up wear components on ICEVs from spark plugs to belts to fluids, clutches, seals… if you get unlucky, you end up with a good chance of a semi-major repair or maintenance item every year. If you get lucky, then I guess you post about it on the internet.

• LucyLastic@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I’m in Europe, we usually expect ICE cars to last 200,000km at least. My Dad’s Peugeot had over 500,000km on it when he sold it, his 1991 Toyota’s mileage is unknown since the Speedo cable broke over 10 years ago when it had 250,000km on it.

I got my little Clio cheaply because it needed the head gasket, fixing that took me one day and cost under 100€ to fix, and it’s still running smooth 3 years and 50,000km later.

To throw things away just because they need a little repair seems terribly wasteful to me.