The only threat to this burgeoning community is the same old divide & collapse nonsense that separates citizens under their overlords everywhere.

I would create accounts and start calling to defederate instances which allow non-polite (or politically incorrect or otherwise offensive) communities.

We didn’t just survive the trolls on reddit. We thrived amongst them. We can handle them. We can block them.

I want curatorial tools to curate my own feed. I absolutely 100% do NOT want any admins telling me what I can’t read. And going to another instance is no solution if that instance is blocked.

I don’t want to be on a purely polite ecosystem, or a purely right-wing-idiot ecosystem. I want access to everybody, and the tools to curate that experience.

The trolls do NOT have the power to take us down. But the admins definitely do.

Welcome to the Defediverse.

• emergencycall@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

We did not thrive amongst trolls on Reddit. Reddit banned and contained certain subreddits. It works. It made the platform a better place for everyone else. Defederation accomplishes the same thing

• mr_washee_washee@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

defedrate until mods catch up with the task of cleaning rancid human waste, then refederate again, no problem. things shouldn’t be rushed. take the ukraine war for exemple, the enemy is slowly but surely weakend to its death. also if an instance gets to be defederated, their user base have to be aware that there are trolls among them, and that they need to learn manners and behave, while instance admin/mods have to block sign ups and ban the culprit usernames. once the sanitation work is complete, they could reach out to the instance that got defederated from them so they could refederate, and from then on its a matter of credibility and trust. if an instance admin isnt serious about cleaning his intance he could stay locked out to oblivion and the unfortunate users could blame their instance admin for its demise and not making their time spent there worthwile… and from then on it is just survival of the fittest: whoever get to maintain his instance will rack up a healthy userbase.

• Matt Payne@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Defederating instances doesn’t just block a hateful subreddit. It blocks all the communities and members.

Also, we totally 100% thrived among them before they were banned.

Also, they didn’t always ban them. They sometimes just blocked them from /r/all but we could still go read them and interact.

Defederation is unhealthy and gross.