• zifnab25 [he/him, any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

On the one end, you’ve got the F2P game that offers you a zero upfront cost to downloading and playing the first few levels, then slowly constricts the quality of the gameplay until you pay them to relieve the pressure.

On the other end, you’ve got the AAA game that hypes release for months and tries to get as much money out of you as physically possible at launch by flooding social media with FOMA. Then they rapidly sheds support for the product until its another forgettable crap title on the pile of forgotten sequels.

In either case, it almost feels like the goal of modern video games is to inflict anxiety and distress on their audience. Like, the point of the game industry is to make the player miserable and then accept payment to provide relief.

• PKMKII [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

You forgot the part where the AAA product is released in a beta state and doesn’t get up to proper release-level quality until a few months worth of patches.

• zifnab25 [he/him, any]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I won’t lie, I was really enjoying D4 until the end. And then I just kinda went slack jawed because… oh, its a cliffhanger. They’re never going to resolve this, are they? Season Passes? No. This is fucked. Oh well…

• doublepepperoni [none/use name]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

If you’re talking about Swery’s D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die, that whole business still depresses me to this day. He signed on to make a Kinect-focused episodic adventure game (never do episodic anything, at least we’ve all learned this by now) only for it to come out just after Microsoft finally dumped the stupid thing

The whole debacle soured Swery’s relationship with his old company and he got hoofed after the unsuccessful PC version and his career has never really recovered

• FloridaBoi [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Heh when Batman Arkham Knight released it was literally unplayable unless you had like 12GB VRAM in 2015. I would say that it wasn’t even in beta since it didn’t even work once on recommended specs

• SeventyTwoTrillion [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I could go on a whole fucking rant about how whatever potential good things about the Early Access model (and basically anything that isn’t “release the full game as a complete product with no other potential added features. aside from DLC that are purely further additions to the game and not part of its main functionality”, including seasonal games) have been almost totally subsumed by it just being an excuse to release games shittily and then go “Oh no worries, we’re going to keep adding and developing it over time!” and then either don’t, or spend three times as long doing that if they had just kept the whole project under wraps.

look at Elden Ring for instance. the game was kept so under wraps by Miyazaki and co that even like a year before it fully released, there was virtually no information about it at all. no early access period, no “Welcome to the April 2019 Elden Ring Early Access Update #3, where we have added Caelid! Go explore and give us tips on how to improve!” no, the dev team just dumped the whole game on us (aside from very minor things like the pvp colosseums and pvp was already a full feature before this) and it’s already probably in the top 5 games of the decade and it was only 2022.

it’s one thing if it’s legitimately a small company doing this shit, I get that you need finanacing under capitalism and shit sucks in general, it’s another thing entirely for larger, proven companies

not sure if every single professional game tester has just dropped dead in the last 10 years or what, but I’m not sure why we have to be unpaid game testers now. hell, we have to pay to be game testers in fact.

Baldur’s Gate 3 is the exception that proves the rule

• PKMKII [none/use name]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

It’s the capitalist pressure to constantly be hitting those quarterly profit goals. These AAA studios are typically part of larger tech/media conglomerates whose shareholders want to see those steady profit streams and so they stick to these release schedules even if the game needed another six months to a year in the oven. And the gamers have made it clear they’ll eat up the slop regardless so there’s no real pushback.

It’s interesting that you mention From Software as an exception as the other company that comes to mind like that is another Japanese company, Nintendo (who of course have their own problems and sometimes suffer from that issue). Apparently on the new Mario Wonder game, corporate gave the devs no deadline to complete it, just “work on it until you think it’s release ready.” Might be a different attitude with CEOs/board members over there.

• SeventyTwoTrillion [he/him]@hexbear.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

this is precisely why I avoided BG3 early access. I was excited to play it but I wanted a full experience. I’ve previously had a sort of grudging acceptance of playing Early Access games like Satisfactory for instance, but now I’m so tired of it that I’m just going to avoid certain games altogether until they fully release.

• wild_dog [they/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

this is why i feel lucky to have been able to use my stimulus checks on music production gear bc the golden era of cool cheap music equipment is almost over. everything is gonna get shittier but at least i can make annoying music in my apartment.

• wild_dog [they/them]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

Nothing specifically is being taken away but a lot of the gear companies like Akai, Moog, Avid (maker of Pro Tools) have been bought out by venture capitalist firms. Akai is actually good example of this. One of their flag ship devices is the MPC line, which has barely been updated since 2017 (the updates they have done recently don’t really amount to much, just extra memory and RAM with a giant price jump to match.) They also use worse parts in some of their newer models so things like buttons and drum pads are more likely to fail in comparison to the older ones. They also allegedly don’t sound as good as the older ones but you can kinda fix that in a DAW or through external processing if you know what you’re doing.

I might be exaggerating a bunch since Behringer is still around and making cheap stuff is their MO but I feel like what’s gonna happen is a lot of brands will stop selling their budget lines or make their budget lines way shittier. there’s also a good chance a lot of the more innovative/weirder equipment gets discontinued as these VC owned brands focus on the more popular stuff that sells better.

in terms of what I got, I got a crazy deal on a Korg Monologue, which is a pretty cool analog synth that Aphex Twin helped design. I also picked up an Arturia Microfreak which is still getting cool free software updates 3 or 4 years after it originally came out and a Roland SP-404 mk2 sampler and I picked up an old 2012 macbook pro that somehow still runs all the music programs I want after I swapped out the hard drive for a solid state.

• nightshade [they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

It gets even worse:
    https://unity.com/pricing-updates

Can I get a discount on the Unity Runtime Fee?
    Qualifying customers may be eligible for credits on the Unity Runtime Fee based on the adoption of Unity services beyond the Editor, such as Unity Gaming Services or Unity LevelPlay mediation for mobile ad-supported games. This program enables deeper partnership with Unity to succeed across the entire game lifecycle. Please reach out to your account manager to learn more. For details on Unity LevelPlay, please contact your account manager for ad monetization, or contact sales here about ad monetization.

What is Unity LevelPlay?
    Unity LevelPlay is an industry-leading end-to-end ad mediation platform for game and app developers. It supports everything your business needs to scale. With Unity LevelPlay, you can:

• Generate revenue with monetization tools and ad sources through Unity LevelPlay mediation’s competitive real-time auction and optimization tools.
    • Gain transparency and data availability with granular breakdowns to pinpoint opportunities immediately. Acquire users at scale using exclusive user acquisition solutions and automated targets.

Just what the games industry needed, even more advertising.

• keepcarrot [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Also, according to my friend: “Unity Execs sold shitloads of their own shares days before announcing a change to the engine pricing structure that makes this meme a reality”

• GVAGUY3 [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Rip any company that made a game with Unity. Hollow Knight Silksong, if it is being made with Unity is never coming out.

• blobjim [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

It’s 20¢ per install max so even if that policy is literal it isn’t quite that extreme. But I do wonder if they’ll have a policy for someone downloading repeatedly. I have my browser disk cache disabled so I wonder if it’s actually literal in terms of install/initialization or if it’s more about having some kind of Unity tracker cookie that identifies users.