So, I have been a solid no on this issue since I heard about it. Even more so after the whole NS debacle in New Palestine. But i think it’s good fodder for discussion, and I’m open to the Yes arguments.

The way I see it, the yes argument is purely based on the offering price. 80 years worth of the current rent would be in the city’s pocket as soon as the sale goes through. 25 years worth of the proposed higher rent if the lease is renegotiated. That money could go a long way into modernizing our infrastructure. But that’s it, it couldn’t be used to add new infrastructure, only to augment what currently exists. So using it to jumpstart a rapid transit system would be a no go, unless it’s purely based on busses and current roads.

The no argument for me is three fold, 1. A strong distrust of NS as a company, especially after new Palestine. 2. The potential loss of revenue if we can convince NS to agree to the higher rent and/or end their exclusivity and allow more carriers to use the rail. This route could cover a big hole in Amtraks expansion plan, potentially linking Cincinnati to Chattanooga, and subsequently Atlanta by passenger rail again. Which give us federal funding opportunities. And 3. It’s the only public rail left in the country.

What are you-all’s thoughts?