I have to manage multiple bank cards, and if I lost them, I would have a major problem. I’ve been using Google Pay to pay via NFC.

Are there any alternatives to Google Pay? I dislike the privacy aspect of it.

• petrescatraian@libranet.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

@Dislodge3233 privacy wise, Google Pay is more private, as it obfuscates your real card details so the seller doesn’t actually know them (it provides some fake ones, linked to your actual card).

On the Google side of things OTOH…

Are there any alternatives to Google Pay?

If there are, they are certainly not open source. I remember there was an issue raised on Catima’s GitHub asking for payment support. The dev said that if implemented, a solution like this would need to contain some proprietary/licensed stuff from Visa or Mastercard.

• MyMulligan@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Google Pay and iPay are the only ones I know of that carries an instance of your card around with you. Downside is that if a location does not have a chip reader (a problem in the US sometimes) you’re out of luck.

Like you said, the security is much better with either one instead of carrying your card. Even if a security breach happens on the retailer’s side they won’t have your card numbers.

If OP is truly nervous they could get a preloaded debit card to carry along with their phone.

• edent@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

In the UK, you can use Curve. That gives you a physical or virtual card which proxies your existing Visa / MasterCards (not Amex).

But it doesn’t have an NFC app you can use on Android. As far as I can tell, there are no other virtual NFC payment apps.

And, of course, it doesn’t really improve your privacy posture. Your bank still knows who you spent with - as does Curve.

If you want a free fiver, you can use my Curve referral link - http://curve.app/join#D4MK9ZKN

• AlmostDachshund@rammy.site
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I don’t believe there’s any reliable option besides Samsung Pay, but it’s locked to Samsung devices. Privacy-wise, I’m not aware of any solution.

• BrainisfineIthink@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s a pain in the ass, but Zelle is accepted a LOT of places now. It usually goes directly through your banking app. IDK if that’s helpful in your situation.