• Gyromobile@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

First responders have to develop a bit of a callous to gruesome scenes, because those that don’t end up not being able to do the job.

The humor is likely a facade that exists to protect him and those around him from the reality of an unfortunate situation that they can not change.

If you’ve ever spent time with EMTs, you will know what I’m talking about. Those guys do not get paid enough and joke about everything in all the worst ways. Still, if you ever get one of them drunk and pry about something they glossed over, they’re as likely to cry as to keep cracking jokes.

It isn’t a good look, but these guys are still human.

• demlet@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Definitely. I knew one guy who was an EMT. He was very casual about it unless he was drinking.

• janWilejan@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

You don’t need to develop a callous to gruesome scenes if you don’t cause gruesome scenes.

“unfortunate situation that they can not change” except by not driving over people at 70mph.

Don’t conflate cops with EMTs. The job of EMTs is to save lives.

• janWilejan@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I asked you to not conflate cops that kill innocent people with EMTs that save people and your response is to conflate cops that kill innocent people with women and children in ukraine? Really?