• TwoGems@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Literally don’t, because Hunter Biden didn’t try to overthrow our entire government. That would be Republicans who have committed every crime under the sun, yet Garland’s DOJ goes after Hunter Biden to “appear non-political.”.

Look, if he committed a crime, whatever, arrest him, but I don’t see the same DOJ arresting Ron Desantis for clear human trafficking laws broken, or even Greg Abbott. Not even Matt Gaetz was charged with anything. 16 Republicans got off Scott free for helping with the insurrection.

Republicans disproportionally get away with almost every crime, and it’s a miracle we even got a Trump mugshot etc. Yet nobody is in prison or anything yet and the Trump trials drag on, and Hunter Biden is indicted quickly and makes the news. He’s not even in office. It’s an attempt by the Garland DOJ to look “fair” to Republican voters or “centrists.”

These voters don’t care though, because they already choose the facts that feel comfortable to their brain, and not reality.

• bluGill@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

The DOJ should go after all criminals. That someone is a criminal doesn’t mean their opponent isn’t as well. If you allow crimes because “someone is on the other side committed a crime” you just agreed to corruption.

If the law should exist is an open question we can debate, but that is a somewhat different subject.

• chaogomu@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Cool, the government could go after the tens of thousands of people per year who commit the same crime. But the government actually prosecutes about 10 people per year for this.

An almost identical crime was found to be unconstitutional in another appeals circuit. So yeah… This looks to be purely political.

Now, the tax shit. They actually have a bit of a case there, but that one is unlikely to result in jail time for the president’s son.

• usualsuspect191@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I would only agree with you if I didn’t think that tons of laws are bullshit. Isn’t literally everyone technically a criminal by now? There needs to be some room for discretion.

• Pistcow@lemm.ee
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

You do wrong, you should be held accountable, but the conservatives are such boners about this. Generally, they don’t even want forms when buying guns, and there’s several cases where others have filled out the same, and it was overturned. There’s a chance he gets completely off instead of the original probation.

• gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I couldn’t give any fewer fucks.

If he did an illegal thing, he should get the same treatment from the legal system that the rest of us would. That’s it. And I honestly don’t care about the matter at all beyond that single point.

• eestileib@sh.itjust.works
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

And it looks like he’s getting railroaded, not getting the same treatment as your average Oklahoman on fentanyl would.

But he did show his ass by lying on a federal form, so I feel like I’ve got better things to stress about.