• DreamButt@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

The more alarms you set the more desensitized you’ll get. Set one and set it at a time you’ll actually wake up at. Not some pretend time you lied to yourself about

• DreamButt@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I’ve struggled with ADHD my entire life. I have plenty of sympathy for people who struggle with functioning within “normal” operations. What I said was not from a place of judgement but from one of personal experience. If you are able you should shape your life around what you naturally do already. It will make you feel superhuman the things you can achieve when you can strive toward them on your own terms

• MrSnowy@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I got through it by setting one alarm on my phone, moving my phone out of arms reach (across the room), and setting the volume on high. It was very annoying but it worked.

• bottom_text@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I wake up at the first alarm 90% of the time, the rest are for the nights where I get no sleep and the mornings that just dont work. Better safe then sorry type deal

• Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Yeah I don’t get it, you’re making the last bit of sleep worse than it needs to be. Wake up at the time you actually need to wake up and don’t interrupt your sleep and you’ll feel much better!

• DreamButt@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I see it a lot with younger people. Especially folks still in school. Unfortunately for the students the world is built by their elders who are more often than not larks. Which is counter to how most younger people sleep

• SolarNialamide@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I’ll do that when I actually have to be somewhere, because I don’t see the point of making my last half hour of sleep shitty and I really have to get up anywah, but I’ll definitely snooze on the weekends. I’ll set my alarm at a time I find reasonable, but I’ll often wake up and think ‘fuck it, it’s Saturday’ and sleep in anyway lol

• LaunchesKayaks@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I used to be like this and then I got a dog that turned out to be a purebred beagle. His screams wake me up instantly. Dude’s the loudest creature I’ve ever met. I love him to death, but I’ll never have another beagle. I was actively avoiding them when I adopted him. The shelter labeled him as a 3 month old bluetick coonhound. Turns out he was 5 months and all beagle. He looked exactly like a bluetick puppy but I started questioning it when I noticed he wasn’t teething. Then he started acting beagley a few months after I got him (it took him a while to adjust and not be anxious all the time) At that point I knew he wasn’t full bluetick because he wasn’t growing much and my vet said he definitely wasn’t a pure bluetick. She also confirmed his age to be 5 months when she saw him right after I adopted him. So I got a DNA test for my boi to see how much beagle is in him… he’s 100% beagle and everyone in my life thinks it’s hilarious. I was adamant about not owning a beagle and I got the most beagle a dog can be.

• Stalinwolf@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

This morning I awoke two minutes before my alarm, after dreaming I heard an unusual pair of chimes that I had never heard before. I woke up confused as to where that sound effect had come from, and realized it was my fucking brain. Now I wonder if my brain plays that every time I wake up before my alarm.

• jarfil@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

The famous “5 more minutes”… they’re a lie. In 5 minutes I’m already asleep enough that the next time the alarm goes off, “5 more minutes”… and over, and over. 15 more minutes, 30 more minutes, also don’t give enough extra sleep to wake up on my own.

After years of experimenting, a fail-proof strategy has been setting 3 alarms:

1. 6:00 - switch lights on
    2. 6:02 - sit up
    3. 6:03 - stand up

No 5 minutes, no going back to sleep.

• Da_Boom@iusearchlinux.fyi
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I just put my phone across the room. Alarm goes off and I have to get up to turn it off.

Though now I have a habit of pressing snooze once and diving back into bed.

But as a result I only ever press snooze once, because forcing me to get up to snooze it kinda turned the one 10 min snooze into a quick power nap, so I get up the second time and I’m always instantly wide awake.

• mikko@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I will forever sing the praises of Alarmy. Set that shit to barcode alarm, loudes volume and only let yourself snooze twice for 5 min each. Make sure the barcode is far away and that your Alarmy app has full admin privileges (to prevent uninstall)

• Hundun@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I set three alarms 7 minutes apart. 7 minutes is enough for a quick snooze without frustration, but not long enough to actually fall asleep.

Also, I used to use smartwatch with a phase-aware alarm clock, highly recommend.