Android user for several years, many versions, now on 13 with a Pixel 5.

I’ve never been able to understand why when switching between apps, sometimes returning to an earlier app causes a full reload of the app - like it forgets where you were, what you were doing, and completely reloads an interface, webpage, or whatever. I get the sense it’s purging every app from RAM as soon as it thinks it can get away with that, and the result is a noticeable time and continuity penalty. What gives?!? Is there a way to fix this behavior?

Edit: It happens with literally every app. System apps like messages or settings, lemmy apps, Reddit apps, Firefox, chrome - it’s fucking annoying.

• rexxit@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

This is a great idea, I’m going to try it

Edit: messages is a system app, battery is set to unrestricted, still reloads with blank screen and big messages icon at the center while it does so.

• danielfgom@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Depends what phone you’re using, how much RAM you have and how many open apps.

Phones with 4GB RAM or less will close apps more often to make space for your current running app.

Chinese phones purposely close background apps to free up RAM which I don’t like. One of the benefits of Android Vs iOS is that Android can do stuff in the background, and this aggressive killing of apps undermines that.

Non Chinese phones with 6GB RAM or more will be less aggressive with closing apps, however it will still close them after a while for battery saving and if you have a lot of apps open it will have to close some to keep your device running fast.

My Sony Xperia 10iii has 6GB RAM and it’s not overly aggressive with closing apps. Overall it’s a really great phone which I highly recommend. It’s Japanese, we all know Sony is an awesome company, and their phonesc are really good.

Plus in some markets the 10iii is still on sale despite the newer 10v having Judy been released. So you can get the 10iii or 10iv at super low prices.

• limerod@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

When was the last time you did a restart? It happens that when you open many apps, after a while(can be days or weeks), things get messy. Usually, clearing your ram (by having some app consume all of it or a restart) should fix the issue. I used to notice this issue on some of my smartphones. The longer I go without a restart, the worse it got. What does the about memory section show on your end?