A great use for reddit is the ability to search posts and opinions about any niche topic. Will that be possible with Lemmy as it grows? Will I be able to Google “instant rice Lemmy” and get a comprehensive tier list of each brand?

I imagine search engines will have trouble with all the different instances(?). EDIT: Especially with instances that don’t have Lemmy in their name, I don’t think search engines would return them for Lemmy searches?

• static@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Reddit did not start out as the thing to google, it’s 15+ years old, only in the last 5y I started prefixing my google searches with reddit.

• BrerChicken @lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I actually found Reddit by googling things. I had seen it 5 or 6 times over a few years, and eventually I just went to the main site. I might have even used Reddit in the search before I joined. Regardless, I had recognized that all the best answers for tricky problems that I had were coming from Reddit before I even joined 11 years ago.

• Fondots@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Everyone’s experience on this will be different, but I personally started using reddit about 12 years or so ago largely because at that point a lot of my Google searches were already pointing me towards reddit. I wasn’t necessarily going to google specifically to find reddit results, but since that’s where I kept ending up i figured I might as well go straight to reddit. And since reddit’s search function is and has always been trash, i pretty much immediately started using Google to search reddit.

• QuinicV@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I realize Lemmy needs to get much bigger for that to happen. My question was more directed at how search engines would handle the fediverse. Though I see now that that wasn’t very clear.