And it really irks me a lot.

Update: Man, I have gotten tons of great responses here and a lot of activity. The comments section turned out way better than Reddit. Thank you all! <3

• Quacksalber@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

That is a terrible argument every time it is brought up. OP clearly likes Harry Potter enough to wanting to immerse themselves into the story, but are stopped short by what they perceive as inconsistencies or contrivances.

We have media, even ones aimed at kids, that suffer less to not at all from those. We should not excuse bad writing. You can still like something badly written. I like Tron: Legacy, I will die on the hill that it is a great movie. But it is not a perfect movie. It still has flaws. I’m not making excuses that it is built on a movie with even worse plot holes. I accept that it is flawed, but I like it just the same.

• Orphie Baby@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Well-said, and I make this argument all the time.

Steven Universe is a show for kids (and everyone). Nobody in that entire show’s running time fails to talk like a normal person would or “holds the idiot ball”. Everyone is smart and communicative, and the show respects its audience a ton. Avatar: TLA is in the same boat, and that’s for kids too (and also everyone).