• bananabenana@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

This is the best anime/manga adaptation I’ve seen tbh. Aside from Scott Pilgrim. IMO they nailed the zanyness of OP and it was just a Hella fun watch

• MeanEYE@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

So funny. “Quick announce second season, people didn’t actually hate this one.” - Some Netflix exec probably. We’ve come to see Netflix as serial ruiner of anime and manga so when they actually do something watchable it comes as a surprise.

• Jonny@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Absolutely loved season 1 of the live action. I find it very hard to agree with very much, almost any of the criticism. I hope they are able to keep it up for many more seasons.

Someone did mention that they wonder how they will handle Chopper as CGI would likely be too expensive, at least keep him on screen a lot. Be interesting to see how they handle it.

• Mojojojo1993@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

It was ok. Totally watchable.

I don’t like usopps nose and how weak they made Zoro and Luffy. Arlongs fight was pretty pathetic. None of Luffy head under water. Zoris fight with hatchi. It was rushed and was kinda anti climatic.

Can’t wait to see how they deal with chopper. Arlongs was awful.

• Mirrorgiraffe@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I agree that an important part of the manga is how they’re big fish in a small pond and can wreck anyone but smoker. That makes it so that when they get to face people like crocodile, kuzan, cp9 and kuma they are extremely humbled and need to constantly reinvent themselves in order to stay relevant.

Apart from that I think they missed the ball on luffys character, but I haven’t gotten to arlong park yet so maybe he can redeem himself.

Helmeppo and Buggy are being totally nailed, and are the reason I tolerate the extra screen time they’re getting.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Yeah interesting they went with the Garp and Coby. Buggy is weird. Not sure how that would fit with his normal arc. Just falling upwards but being useless.

I don’t mind the abridged version. Gets to the point but don’t change key aspects. Why the usopp nose. Do some proper fight scenes.

You gotta know what to cut and what to keep. I think they can do alabasta in 10 eps but what will they keep. It’s a long arc.

How the fuck will they do chopper. Fishmen were on but Arlong just doesn’t look scary. Chopper will be a mess

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

But he is. He wrecks Luffy, Luffy is outclassed. His first difficult opponent. Luffy only wins due to plot. He was underwater. He should have died.

Arlongs was scary. Hi bites Luffy. Rips his teeth out and uses them as weapons. Stabs Luffy with his nose. He’s a scary guy. Looks chill then boom.

• Mirrorgiraffe@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

I disagree. If Luffy hadn’t burrowed himself in the beginning of the fight it wouldn’t have been any issue. As soon as Luffy gets serious after seeing Namis room he completely wrecks Arlong. He even breaks his weapon like it was nothing.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

Yeah he needs to fight harder because Arlong is a. Opponent of high level. He tried out some things and almost died.

• galmuth@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

They did noticeably abridge/skip fights to cram in more story. I guess it was a decision to make it more narrative than action. The nerfing of Luffy and Zoro probably makes it a tad more realistic and a bit less cartoony.

I agree that the fishmen didn’t look great and I’m a bit concerned about what they’re going to do with Chopper.

But tbh if you’re truly bothered by inconsequential details like Usopp not having a long nose (which would not translate well to live action), this definitely ain’t the show for you.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

His nose is what makes him a great sniper. They can’t make him have a long nose but they keep fishmen. Weird decisions from oda.

I get story. I hated usopps arc. It was boring and didn’t do anything for me. But they decided to do 2 episodes and keep the cat crew. Just weird. Longer fight scenes and less Coby.

Why have they cut 70% source material to shoehorn in Garp and Coby.

As I said I’m in the minority. I don’t mind watching it come to life. I just dislike what they have decided to cut and what they have added.

Making Zorro get knocked out by a bottle is completely blasphemy to me.

They were the monster trio. Now what are they

• Ujjwal Kanth@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Only on Episode 2, but characters are good or rather as good as could be translated on telivision.

I usually have very low expectations for such adaptations, but this has been a pleasant surprise so far.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

It’s totally watchable. I enjoyed some of it. Didn’t like usopps nose and how weak they made the guys. But clearly I’m in the minority