Fully Charged in Just 6 Minutes – Groundbreaking Technique Could Revolutionize EV Charging::Typically, it takes around 10 hours to charge an electric vehicle. Even with fast-charging techniques, you’re still looking at a minimum of 30 minutes – and that’s if there’s an open spot at a charging station. If electric vehicles could charge as swiftly as we refill traditional gas vehicles, it wo

• flames5123@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Oh damn, I didn’t realize Tesla started making the standard range again. When I got my LR RWD in 2018, they were not selling the SR anymore. However, their Model Y starts at 75kWh, and their Model S and X are only 100kWh now.

• zoe @infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

yea, 100kwh is too few. 170kwh would be ideal (for a model 3). The models S and X should have had a 250kwh pack, to support that needlessly fast acceleration.

• flames5123@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I think 100kWh is ideal for a Model 3. I drove my LR RWD across the US (MS to CA to WA) and didn’t really have an issue. It was only bad when it got really cold outside, so having an extra 30% would cover that. It would have about 400 miles of range on a full charge, and 20 mins at a super charger would get you from 10% to 80%, so 300 miles, or another 4 hours of driving.

• zoe @infosec.pub
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

600Km in a single charge ? 450 km mileage in 20 minutes ? i am surprised. although i would feel more safe if a 20min stop adds another 150km (yea, 30% increase in battery size would be cool) (but how about running ac, towing stuff ? that could really decrease the efficiency) nonetheless, home charging is costly if u plan on adding 70kwh ever night to ur utility bill. so as a commuter, i should predict a 20 min stop to supercharge cheaply before getting home. then tomorrow, another stop mid day… Superchargers will be congested if this isn’t adressed, u hav a factor of 20x to tackle: people would fuel up with gasoline in a 1 minute or so instead, if everyone where to have EVs

• flames5123@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

At home, most people are only charging about 10-20% every night. For 100kWh, let’s say 20kWh, which is 60 miles. Most people at home will be using a 240v 50A outlet, which outputs 12kW. You’d be done charging in about 2 hours at 95% efficiency for 21kWh from the outlet (heat loss and whatnot does take a significant portion of charging). At my place with $0.13/kWh, that would just be a measly $2.75 at 95% efficiency. Wayyyy cheaper than gas. That’s around the same as a car with 85mpg at $4/gal gas. Most cars are around 30mpg on a good day.

• zoe @infosec.pub
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                10 months ago

a Mk6 diesel would do 60mpg…but again, prices would also influence this. Yea well, as long as electricity stays cheap, and cost of the supercharger stays also low, then that would be a viable choice (i wonder how much 1kwh costs at a supercharger?). Also, when a company judges a product is too good, it would pull a premium from its ass just to drain money from its customers, especially, in the case of OTA connected cars like Teslas, anything could happen. Lithium mining becoming too expensive: u only get to use 75kwh only of ur battery (idk, similar non sense… remains to be seen, depends on a company goodwill…like when they retracted free supercharging from Legacy S and X owners, straight rug pull) . Also again, cheap electricity would imply congested superchargers in the future :/

• flames5123@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 months ago

Supercharger costs are very different across the board, but never as cheap as charging at home. Looking at my charging at superchargers for the whole year in the Pacific Northwest (all in WA, OR, and Canada), it was $0.35/kWh on average. It can get up to $0.50/kWh when using it during peak hours, which is typically 10am-7pm.

• zoe @infosec.pub
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    10 months ago

supercharging needs to become cheap to boost EV sales. say if an average tesla driver needs to recharge about 100 kwh per day, 1kwh could be produced by 5 m² of solar in 1 hour (average solar day lasts about 6 hours), then each car requires about 80 m² of solar panel area, to cover the daily needs of a single car. imagine each year 500k tesla cars join the fleet, so each year 40 km² of solar is required to feed Teslas with pure renewable energy: alot of estate is required to accomodate the electrical needs of such cars: nuclear and fossil are out of the question, so might as well start looking into fusion to achieve net 0 emission energy. Elon said before Tesla was a battery company, i think he should reconsider this and try to tackle the energy problem instead, might as well become an electrical utility company. if the price 0.13$/kwh could be democrarized among superchargers that already would be no small feat (90mpg can already be addictive haha, but people also made due with 30mpg @4$/gal using 15k$ cars) in ur case u could fully charge at home since it is cheaper, unlike how i thought about it at first)

• set_secret@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 months ago

diesel is literally destroying the planet with both particulate and CO2. I’d factor that into the costs. I’d rather pay 200% more for electricity if it means we can sleep at night knowing I’m not poisoning the environment to drive around everyday. You can literally use solar panels to charge your car and batteries can be 99% efficiently recycled. yes tyre dust is still a huge problem we need to fix. but petrol and diesel need to die asap and not be considered as viable options.

• zoe @infosec.pub
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    10 months ago

a car releases alot of fine particles, i agree, even brake pads release particles. fossil is not only polluting but it is also finite as a ressource, and also is uranium. air travel is addicted to fossil and that needs to stop: electric powered trains could make for a good alternative, but u would need long stretches of land to produce enough energy to satisfy these needs through solar, while waiting for fusion tech to be unlocked